9.09.2010

things that bring joy - day 9

Raising Alex in a way that is pleasing to the Lord brings me joy. That's why I'm so excited to begin a new study with the girls in my bible study group – Shepherding a Child's Heart. This book teaches the importance of looking beyond behavior and moving deeper, into heart issues, when disciplining your child.

I'm the first to admit that I don't have much scripture committed to memory. I'm trying to remedy that. One thing that stood out to me in the first chapter is that "you cannot teach that which you have not learned." Fair enough.

And so I'm working on a new exercise to accompany this book. I'm trying to write down as many "heart issues" as I can think of – lying, disobedience, anger, unforgiveness, stealing, unpleasing words, etc. – and finding scripture that teaches what God's word says about those things. I also want to do the same thing for the positive, too – friendship, love, pleasing words, hard work, honesty, etc. I figure this is as good a place as any to begin committing more scripture to memory. And hopefully I'll be able to impart some wisdom and knowledge to my Little Man in the process. =)

4 comments:

Dana said...

I got that book last week when I went to the library. I'm about 25 pages into it and am reading it some when I nurse at night. We'll have to compare notes once we are both done. I'm so impressed and proud of the way you are wanting to raise Alex. You are an inspiration to me. :-) Love you!

Lauri said...

I completely agree with Dana. The way you are approaching parenthood is so inspiring and motivating, especially the way you are so mindful about raising Alex in the ways of the Lord. Good for you for not taking your role as Mom lightly. I could definitely learn so much from your approach!!

Your Bible study sounds wonderful and I can't wait to hear how you enjoy the book. You'll have to pass along your favorite tips. Love and miss you, girl!

Solar Powered said...

BTW, I love the new look too!

Katherine said...

You are an inspiration to me as well. And to think back to the days where you didn't know if you wanted kids or not! HA! You are one of the best moms I know! Isn't it funny how having kids makes us grow ourselves, in trying to find the right and best way to parent them. I look forward to hearing what you think of the book. I need to get mine out and read it was well. I need all the help I can get, my oldest is REALLY pushing lots of buttons lately.