Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see? I see Alex looking at me.
Alex had his first trip to the public library for Wee Read storytime for toddlers. He's a little younger than most of the kids in the class, but they let me sign him up anyway. The lady who lead the storytime was wonderful - so full of energy and enthusiasm. I've forgotten how many years she's been doing this, but it's more than a decade.
She read stories and played music that the kids danced and shook "noise eggs" and beanbags to. It was really cute. There was no way you could watch these kids and not find joy in it.
Alex was only partially interested in listening to the stories. What he really wanted to do was get up off his little carpet square and do some exploring since he's got the whole walking thing down now. But like any good mom, I had my bag of tricks ready. Yep, I had snuck in some dried yogurt bites, and that helped keep him still long enough for the story lady to read the book without him causing too much of a scene. Fortunately, he wasn't the only meanderer in the crowd, so I didn't feel too bad about the whole thing.

4 comments:
Oh, I'm so excited that you guys went to story time. How fun! Even if he's not listening the whole time or sitting still, Alex is definitely learning! I sure do hope he learns to love to read. What a special gift you are giving him when you teach him to love books!
By the way, I'm 1/2 way through Shepherding a Child's Heart. I'm enjoying it and it is challenging me in many ways. Can't wait to talk about it with you.
What a fun outing. Like Dana said, even if he didn't sit still or act interested, it's so good to expose him to that environment as early as you are doing! I have no doubt that he will always love his books and loving reading! :)
Oh, I love that LM had a visit to the library... books are gateways to all kinds of adventures... They open minds, challenge thoughts and beliefs, teach, cheer, amuse, bring joy... and sorrow... the whole array... Noni is proud he is getting exposure to books! (even if it is meandering around... lol. there has to be something said for osmosis). Great job, Momma. xoxoxoxo
What a fun outing for Mommy and Alex! I love the idea of taking little ones to the library to instill a love for books. For some reason, I read all the time myself but find it difficult to sit down and read to my kids. So thanks for the reminder about how important it is to start young. Hopefully there are many more library visits in your future!
Post a Comment