9.11.2010

things that bring joy - day 11


Would you believe me if I told you that these are the same house?

Nope, I'm not kidding. This is the same house. In fact, it's our next door neighbor's house. These pictures were taken about a month apart. And this transformation is why Neighbors Helping Neighbors brings me joy.

Neighbors Helping Neighbors is a program that our neighborhood (Historic Old Southwest) started about five years ago to help residents who are physically and financially unable to maintain the exterior of their homes. OSW raises money each year through a Holiday Parlor Tour, and then pours that money right back into improvements and restoration for the neighborhood through programs such as NHN.

The project for my neighbor's house has been in the works for several months now. I have been praying for this change even before that, and God has been so good to make unprecedented things happen. Not only was the entire exterior of this house painted, but the front yard was also completely landscaped, some pretty serious roof leaks have been repaired, and some foundational issues are being addressed - all free of charge to my neighbor. God is so good!

Today, several members of our community and folks from our church life group joined together to help restore this old home.
These volunteers have taken this...
 and this...
and turned it into this.
I'm not sure who enjoys it more – Jerry and I or our neighbor!

Many thanks to the sponsors and volunteers who made this day possible.
These businesses donated time, materials, and resources. None of this would have been possible without them, and we are so grateful for their help.
  • The Home Depot - donated all Behr paint products, all landscaping supplies and provided volunteers for the day
  • Haynes Design and Restoration and TKB Home Improvements - donated services to help repair the roof leaks and replace old rotted wood that had been damaged around the soffits and trim of the home; also doing the foundation repair next week
  • Quality First Painting - donated a crew to come and help with the painting
Helping to rebuild and do good for someone else seems like a great way to honor and remember those whose lives were lost nine years ago today.
May we always remember. And may this day forever remind us of the importance of taking care of each other.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Amanda - that is just so cool. And for it to be your next door neighbor! I can only imagine how much fun you guys had being a part of such a special project. Your neighbor must be so thankful for that program and for all of the help given to make thier home beautiful again. And it certainly can't hurt your home value either. Definitely sounds like a special way to spend 9/11 taking care of your fellow man. I love that you guys were able to do this. :-)

Tanna said...

I am very happy for Mrs. Montgomery. This is a very special act of service and compassion. Kudos to all that participated. Love you. XOXOXO

Lauri said...

So, so neat. And right up your alley. It's awesome to see such an outpouring of kindness from your neighbors and from all of the local busiensses, too. I can only imagine how much the homeowner has been touched. Kudos to you for spending your time and energy on such a deserving effort!