5.23.2011

The Latest Hobby and Big Boy Bed Update

We have been on many rock-collecting adventures lately. It is Little Man's favorite way to spend an afternoon.
_MG_9286
We gather up the tiny treasures in a bucket and then get another bucket of water for him to throw the rocks into. "Plop-splash!" He ends up soaked to the core, and he's thrilled with the mess he is making! He is never ready for the fun to end which makes for quite the neighborhood entertainment when it's time to put things away.
_MG_9271
I can't wait to give him his birthday gift which is a water table for playing outside. In preparation for baby, I've already got it purchased and stored in the basement. Now the key is not caving before his birthday like I did the train table. ;-) Maybe I'll just look at the picture above to remind myself that the buckets seem to be working fine at this point.

Now for an update on the big boy bed situation. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat reserved about the timing of moving Alex. If it weren't for the baby coming, I'd still have him in his crib. He seemed to like it, he never tried climbing out, and I think he'd have been ok for a good while longer. But our circumstances called for a change, and, truth be told, he couldn't have adapted better if I had wanted him to. Seriously. I was anticipating that there would be a few hiccups along the way, but nothing. He has never missed a beat.

He has stayed in bed all night, and each morning he calls for us to come get him instead of getting up and wandering around on his own. He has taken his naps like a champ, although occasionally he'll talk to himself and play for a while before going down, but at least his play doesn't (yet) include jumping, hopping, or falling face down like the Nestea plunge (some of his very favorite activities to do on a real bed). His naps have been the same length of time as when he was in his crib, and again, he calls for us to get him out when he's awake. I feel so fortunate that this has gone so well. My hope is that this will continue on once little Andrew arrives.

4 comments:

Tanna said...

Yea!!!! I'm so glad!! He is a champ, isn't he? Now, I guess I can stop worrying that we need to round up another crib! LOL!

The rock and the water situation doesn't surprise me in the least after the fountain trips! LOL! I'm thinking that the pails of water are much cleaner!!

XOXOXOXO

Katherine said...

SO glad for you that he has transitioned so well to his big boy bed and room. This is going to make things so much easier for you all before baby Andrew arrives. So, so happy for you.

Love that he loves playing outside so much. The playgrounds, the backyard, the rocks. So fun and that will be so nice to just step outside for a little fun when Andrew is napping.

Oh and I didn't get a chance to comment on the strawberry farm adventure. If we lived there we would be making an annual trip to the strawberry farm as well. What a fun, fun outing! And those berries look amazing and oh so fresh! I'm hoping to make it to the blueberry farm in a few weeks to stock up. Like her brothers, Sarah is loving her blueberries so I better stock up while I can!
Glad you guys got to enjoy a day out with nice weather!

You are in my thoughts! Can't wait for more baby updates! :-)

Hilde Kraiss said...

It's so great that he transitioned to his bed so well and that he's so happy. He won't even relate it to a big change because of the baby because he sounds so happy about being a big boy. I'm glad things are going smoothly for you in your last few weeks!

Lauri said...

Alex is SUCH a nice and obedient child for his Mommy and Daddy! Oh my, I am SOOOO impressed at the easy transition to his bed. Seriously, so impressed. I am so proud of both Alex and his parents on this one. Clearly you did the right thing at exactly the right time for it to go so well. What a relief for Momma, right?!

Something tells me it will NOT be that way with K, hence my keeping her in the crib until she's 5. Ha!