I know what you must be thinking. "How many posts can she possibly make about Little Man's first birthday?! And wasn't his birthday, like, three weeks ago?" Yes, I am behind, and I promise this will be the last post. As a proud momma, I need a place where I can come back to reminisce, and this ol' blog is my place for doing that, even if I am a little behind. This post is about his actual first birthday - July 8. Thank you for bearing with me while I record these memories that I never, ever want to forget.
I think every mom relives the actual birth day, on her child's birthday, don't you? We watch the clock throughout the day and think about what we were doing at this or that time the day our child was born. I found it to be a little emotional, myself. Especially when 7:33 p.m. rolled around. That is, after all, when my precious baby boy changed my life forever by making his grand entrance into this world.
This year when Little Man woke up, Jerry and I greeted him with the traditional "Happy Birthday to you" serenade. I think Alex thought we were bonkers. He kept hiding behind his crib bumper and peeking at us; he would not stand up like he normally does when we walk into the room.
We took him downstairs where his presents were waiting for him.
The first thing he had spotted was his birthday balloon tied to the Cozy Coupe. Nothing else mattered at the moment. He is a sucker for balloons. I knew that. Which is why I made a trip to the store at 11 p.m. the night before to make sure he had one waiting for him when he woke up.
I made him his favorite breakfast - pancakes. I thought that I'd really make them special since it was his big day and all, and so I made some with fresh blueberries and some with chocolate chips. He'd never had them made that way before. He looked at me like, "Now, why have you gone and ruined a perfectly good plain pancake by adding other stuff in there?" He was a skeptic, but he soon indulged me. And himself!
He wore his "Birthday Boy" t-shirt, looking quite smashing, I might add.
I took Alex to Chick-fil-A for lunch, and some of our friends from bible study joined us there.
I wanted to do something special for dinner. We have a local restaurant called Fork in the Alley. It is a tiny charmer tucked away in a beautiful neighborhood in town. Fork in the Alley was partnering with Bubblecakes, an equally charming cupcake shop that is located next door, for a summertime grilling event called Fork in the Bubble. Sounded like just the kind of special I had in mind. For a mere $6, we got a grilled hot dog, two sides, a drink and a ticket to go design our own cupcakes. We also got a little side of their killer mac 'n cheese for the birthday boy - another of his favorites.
We brought the cupcakes home so that we could Skype with Noni and Pop Pop, and they could join us in serenading Little Man with the Happy Birthday song again. No hiding this time - just smiles.
He devoured his cupcake.
And even smeared a little in his hair for good measure.
It was a full day. A fun day. A special day for a special little guy. Happy first birthday, Little Man. We love you.




6 comments:
What a fun and very special day. I love that you went and got him a balloon at 11 the night before. What a sweet mommy! I'm so glad you guys enjoyed celebrating together. I think birthdays should be cause for lots of special treatment! After all, it only happens once a year. Happy Birthday Alex!
That was a very special day you created for Alex... He is a very special little guy. And, he is very, very loved by lots of people, especially his mom and dad.
I'm so glad you recounted the details of Alex's big day! The balloon, the gifts, the serenade, the cupcake, the special breakfast and dinner...oh my, I admit, it makes me feel extremely guilty since I did pretty much NONE of that for Kaitlynn! But I just love your enthusiasm for Alex's big milestones and you will be so happy that you made time to document all the details of this special occasion. What a special day for the most beloved Little Man! Love and miss you guys!!
I can't believe he hid behind the bumper....so funny...
I love the pictures and your words....brings tears to Nannys' eyes!
Happy, Happy Day to Alex!
What a sweet post. I tell ya, there is nothing like the first birthday. So many memories and emotions attached to that day. It sounds like he had a very special day created by his sweet momma. The hiding behind the bumper is too cute. I actually laughed out loud at that one.
And if I remember correctly we got to experience Bubblecakes and their delicious cupcakes. What a special treat for him. Thanks for sharing your memories and thoughts as he reached such a big milestone.
It's emotional isn't it? My tears are rolling reading your post...happy tears of course. What a perfect birthday. I have so enjoyed all the birthday posts and look forward to watching Alex grow in the year to come.
Post a Comment