(1 year)
If I had to describe the first year in a phrase, it would be delightful surprise.
(11 months)
Many of you know that I was overwhelmed with the thought of becoming a parent. Not because I was worried I couldn't do it, but rather because I knew that to do it well, required a lot of work. A lot of work. That part I nailed, dead on. What surprised me though, is how much I have enjoyed the work - all of the stuff that before Alex was born, seemed like it would be drudgery.
(10 months)
For example, I thought I would dread the late-night feedings - that, for us, lasted until about nine months. Instead, I found myself joyful to have one-on-one time with the Little Man. I loved that I didn't have to wait until morning to hold him and give him kisses again. That's not to say I didn't have my moments, but overall, the delight far outweighed the dread.
(9 months)
I've also been surprised at how the little chores like dirty diapers, cleaning spit up, wiping up throw up, all seem like nothing. Especially when the moments after are followed with sweet kisses and snuggles. I live for those kisses and snuggles - they are what I cherish most.
(8 months)
Which makes me wonder, what am I going to do when Alex is "too cool" to give me hugs and kisses? How will I cope when that chapter closes? Oh, I know it will likely reopen, but I shudder at the thought of having to go through a season where he doesn't want my affection.
(7 months)
I'm surprised at how little I miss my career. I thought I would miss the adult interaction, the intellectually stimulating conversations, the reward from solving problems. I seem to still get those things in some shape or form. And I think that really helps me enjoy my time off of work rather than miss it. Although I do miss having a paycheck. Can't deny that one, but Alex is worth more than any paycheck I ever received. =)
(6 months)
I'm surprised at my patience. If you have a child then you know that it seems to take twice as long to do anything - to get ready, to get out the door, to get into the car, to get out of the car. There's just a lot going on. But I've learned to roll with the punches and try to prepare accordingly.
(5 months)
There's also the patience for watching Little Man explore and do things on his own. He likes to climb the stairs by himself - which requires me to follow closely behind as he navigates one step at a time. He likes to feed himself - which inevitably means he will be covered in food from head to toe which I will have to clean up. He likes to see what's happening behind cabinets and inside of drawers - which means watching to make sure there are no smashed fingers and then, of course, picking up after everything has been strewn about. But I wouldn't trade any of these things, even if it did mean making life easier.
(4 months)
You know the other thing that caught me a little off-guard (in a good way) was how much I have enjoyed studying the new things he's learned and picked up. If you know me well, then you know that I'm not usually a "belly-laugh" kind of girl. But when Alex plays Peek-a-Boo because he sees a girl in an advertisement covering her eyes, I just roar with laughter because he wants to play along, and he has made the connection. It's amazing to me to watch him learn.
(3 months)
Speaking of things he's learned - lately he's been up to a few new tricks. I mentioned Peek-a-Boo. He also likes to "give me five." (He's got that down pat!) He grunts at everything he points to. He's learned to flap his lips with his fingers while he hums. He's practically running behind his push toys - but still no first steps. Oh, and my new favorite - he'll say "honk, honk." I really need to get this on video!
(2 months)
In the last month he also had his first black eye. Yikes! Broke my heart! But he survived. And I did, too. I guess it's good to go ahead and get that first one out of the way. I know there will be more to come.
(1 month)
When I look back over the last year, I see some pretty significant changes in my life. I think the last year has made me stronger (physically and mentally) and more confident. I feel like I can take on more than I did before. I don't know why that is, but it's been one of the most delightful surprises of all.
(11 days)












7 comments:
Oh Amanda, I loved reading this so much...
And these pictures are so adorable. I would frame everyone of them. They are just precious.
Now you are starting on second year, can you believe it?
Have a good weekend!
This is such a beautiful recollection of your first year, well done. I could not feel more the same, especially the part about them growing up and in some ways growing away from us. But then I think to raise an independent, good and moral person to contribute to society is really the goal, isn't it? To be honest that overwhelms me and is a lifelong goal, so for now I will just treasure every hug and kiss and giggle and try to enjoy the moments, no matter how fleeting. So glad I am a mom with you and can share this. Who would ever have thought it?
An awesome and wonderful year for both you and Alex. Love the one year shot with Sammy on the swing! Your photography skills continue to blossom.
Oh Amanda, let me tell you, it just continues to get more and more exciting watching them learn new things and assert their independence. And it will continue to take a lot of patience as he wants to do everything all by his big ole self! But it is just so much fun. It's like you get to discover the world all over again through their eyes.
And I totally hear you when you talk about the stage where he's "too cool" for his mom. Yuck, I can't even go there! I'm just going to soak up all of the tender moments now and then when he's 13 and won't hug me I'm going to tell him all about the big hugs he used to give me. I'm going to tell him that it's okay because I saved up some of the hugs from earlier and will remember those until he's ready to love on me again. :-)
I'm so glad you've enjoyed your first year as a mom. The second is just as great, if not better!
Amanda, I just LOVED that post! It was so neat to read your reflections on the past year and how much your life has changed since Alex arrived. What a heartwarming tribute to your precious boy on his birthday!
I completely agree with everything Dana said about when our boys are too cool for us Moms. It will absolutely break my heart, so I'm saving up the hugs now, too!
I loved reading all about what Alex is doing these days. I want to hear the "honk honk" - too cute! And yes, these days are full of the belly laughs, aren't they? Probably one of the highlights of parenthood.
I am so thankful to have gone on this parenthood journey with you the past year. Love you girl!
Great, great reflections on the past year of your life! I love that you appreciate so many things, the big and the small things. Having kids really does change one's heart, perspective and priorties in life, doesn't it?! And the more kids you have the greater the perspective and the greater the love grows. It's amazing!
And I must say seeing how much you have enjoyed this first year makes me excited for the upcoming years that lie ahead of you. There is so much to take in through the eyes of a child, through the heart of a child and through the mind of a child. Each year just keeps getting better! Thanks for sharing your reflections with us! You and Jerry are great parents and sweet Alex is lucky to have you guys! Love and miss you!
I'm just crying. Out of joy and understanding and happiness for you and your journey and thanks that I got to share it with you. I get it girl. We did it and will continue to do it well. This was the most perfect tribute to Alex, and motherhood, and new beginnings and so much more. I just loved it.
Post a Comment