8.18.2009

Tell me I'm not alone...

This is what Alex looks like a lot of the time these days.


That's right. My sweet Munchie has turned into a grumbler lately. During the days, we've had lots of fussing to contend with. He's very difficult to console. Nothing I do seems to make him happy.

But then his dad gets home. And he's all smiles. Well, not literally because he only has random smiles right now. But if he had smiles, he'd be giving them to Jerry.

Please tell me that there are other moms out there who've had a similar experience. I need some reassurance because the confidence levels are dropping here...

5 comments:

Lauri said...

No way, he is too cute to be a grumbler!! Maybe sweet Alex is going through a growth spurt or something? K did that right around this time and also was grumpy during the day. It seemed to be related to gas, too (and my ingestion of WAY too many carbs!) Have you ever tried putting him on his tummy? When K is a grump I turn her over on her tummy, sometimes on a flat surface but also on her Boppy with her arms hanging over the sides. At least sometimes that seems to immediately calm her down.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that sweet Alex is giving his Mommy frowns. Hang in there and soon he will be giving you lots and lots of love!!

Katherine said...

Hey girlie,
So sorry to hear Alex is going through a fussy time. I would say maybe it's tummy with some gas pains. Laying him on his tummy like Lauri said is a good idea, although I know he's not a fan of his tummy time. Is he burping ok? Have you tried any Mylicon drops or any colic drops? I know the "Little Remedies" brand has lots of different types of drops that are supposed to be good. I used 'Gripe Water' that we bought at a health food store but Little Remedies now makes it too. It's supposed to help calm the stomach and ease gas pains. I know with mine, I would just try to nurse them and see if that soothed them. Plus he might be going through a growth spurt where he feels more hungry. Have you eaten anything differently that might be affecting him in your milk? Just a few thoughts.

Just know that you are having a very normal experience. Especially around 6-8 weeks it seems things change a bit since they are a little more aware of what's going on around them and how they feel. Just remember this is a phase and this too shall pass!

Hang in there! Love you!

Anonymous said...

You are not alone, every baby seems to go through it. Like Lauri and Katherine said, probably a gas issue. If he's nursing well, and then it happens regularly afterwards, then I'd say yep - try the mylicon or other remedies mentioned.

Just know that crying is his only way of communicating. It just takes a lot of trial and error responses on your part to figure out what seems to be the problem. Hold him, rock him, pat him, take him outside, warm bath, give the paci, play some music, whatever. Just keep trying lots of things, and you'll find something that works. Unfortunately, it just takes time to figure out.

Also, just check his temp. If he has a fever, probably have the pediatrician check him out. I remember the first ear infection Brian ever had, we had no idea what the problem was. He wasn't drinking well, or sleeping. It was because he had an ear infection, swallowing hurt his ears because they were popping, and laying down to sleep hurt his ears too. He was only happy being held up, but he was hungry, so he was still fussy.

Good luck! Stay strong, you'll make it, just keep trying things. All of a sudden, something will click and work. And you will be the Mommy Rock Star! Then Jerry will be wondering why you can always calm him, but daddy can't.
Super cute pictures still, even if he is fussy - he's a dang cute baby! HUGS!!!!
-Sandra

Dana said...

What a cute picture. I remember that face a lot with Jackson! He was fussy like that until about 4 or 5 months and I have absolutely no advice! We fed him, burped him, rocked him, talked to him, swung him, etc. Nothing ever seemed to work - although taking him outside helped sometimes. I think it's usually tummy trouble and we never could find a position or anything that would relieve Jackson.

It's true that one day you will be able to comfort him in a way that daddy can't. And then you'll be wishing he'd want daddy again. :-)

Katherine was right...this too shall pass. I'll just pray it passes quickly for you!

Katherine said...

One more thought, I know you said he had been spitting up alot. Could it be that he has a little bit of acid reflux that is causing him some pain and making him uncomfortable? I think that's a hard one to figure out but depending on the amount he is spitting up it could be irritating him! Just a thought!