3.25.2010

Mission: THRIVE (reflection)


At the beginning of this year, our pastor asked the congregation this question, "How are you at dealing with change? Are you open to new things, new ideas? Or are you stuck in the old?"

Since I was beginning my Mission: THRIVE journey at that time, I thought, "Ok, God. You've got my attention." I was, after all, looking to try new things, find new ideas that would help me get out of the rut I had been in since we moved here. And I was seeking affirmation for some of the changes I had recently made - namely, quitting my job to stay home with Alex and focus on our family and our home.

Then the pastor shared this verse of scripture.

"Forget the former things; 
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; 
do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert 
and streams in the wasteland."
— Isaiah 43:18-19

This hit right smack dab in the middle of my heart.

Have you ever had the experience where you know beyond the shadow of a doubt God is speaking directly to you? I mean, I know that's why they call scripture "the living word," but I've only had a handful of those experiences in my life, and this, my friends, was one of them. Because when the pastor shared that scripture, this is what I heard.

Amanda,
There may be times when you think to yourself, "But I used to (fill-in the blank: have my family and friends nearby, have a fulfilling career, be able to spend without worrying as much about the budget, get recognized for doing a good job at work, etc.), and now I don't have that anymore." Don't. Because I am calling you to a new season in life. I want to do a new thing in you.


For the last year you have felt empty and desolate. I will change that. Trust in Me, and I will take you to a place where you will thrive again. I will teach you new things about Me. And about yourself. 


I want us to be close again. But you have to be open to the change. Will you join me?
God

You know, sometimes I still dwell on the "former things." But mostly I try to think about them and acknowledge the blessings they were, but I try not to pine away for them - it keeps me stuck. I'm a big believer in counting my blessings and being grateful for what I have and where I'm at today. I think it helps me not take things for granted.

I'm really and truly loving the new season. I love getting to work on the house. I love time with Alex. I love having time to do creative projects. I feel like I've been able to slow down a little bit and enjoy life.

I've got my April goals lined up and ready to go - some I'm carrying over from March. I want to...

  • make a window treatment for our guest bathroom 
  • learn how to make ruffles with my sewing machine 
  • set a date to host a "girls' get-together" for the women in my church small group 
  • begin a new bible study
  • continue walks with Alex outside on the warm-weather days
  • get the porch ready for spring
  • enroll in the "Weekend to Remember" marriage conference 
All kinds of good things on the horizon. =) I'm looking forward to another month of thriving.

6 comments:

Tanna said...

I love you dearly and am so proud of you! I am delighted to my core that you are thriving! When you thrive, it is a blessing to me and to my grandson, too. =)

PS the photo... fabulous!!!

Katherine said...

One thing I have always admired about you is your ability to dig deep within yourself to find the reality of your situations and gain a new perspective on things. And what a better place to gain a new perspective than at church with our awesome God speaking directly to you.

I am so proud of you and the progress you have made over the last 6 months. You wanted to make some changes and you did, you are and you will. God uses us all in so many different ways and we never know just what that is going to be until we are there. Some one once told me, God doesn't allow us to see our future b/c we would be so scared of the path he took us down and scared of all the changes he had in store for our lifes. And we would never believe that we could do what his plan is for us. So instead, we take God's changes as they happen and with his constant presence, he gets us through all that we think is impossible.

I know God has great things in store for you and your sweet family and I'm loving watching the next chapter of your life unfold! Love you!

nanny said...

It sounds like you are going to have a very happy and busy April!

I used the towel in the bath tub for Lila's bath earlier.....that's a great idea...

Have a good weekend!

Dana said...

Sounds like you've got some great goals for this month. I'm so excited about all that you have going on in your life right now. Your heart seems so full and happy right now. Reminds me of the Amanda I've known before. :-) So glad you are getting to a place of happiness and thriving again!!!

Solar Powered said...

This post made my heart swell and also forces me to look at my own way of living. Do you know how wise you are? It is so very difficult to make big changes, very difficult. I'm proud of you. The tone of your posts say it all, you made the right decision.

Lauri said...

Go girl! I just love how the message of your posts these days are full of joy. It's so obvious that you're in such a great place now. And I'm so proud of you for making and sticking to your goals. Can't wait to see pics of the new window treatment!