I'm not sure how much swimming we'll be doing this summer since Baby Boy (no, we're no closer to having a name picked out) is due June 11, but I still thought that Alex might enjoy some swim lessons at our local rec center. So I signed him and Jerry up for the Tiny Bubbles/Little Splashes swim class. I figured this would give Alex a new activity to try and some one-on-one time with his Daddy which they both love.
Little Man was all geared up and ready to go until...Daddy took him in the water for the first time. That water was pretty chilly, and he wasn't interested. He cried and cried and cried.
When the class began, the teacher told the parents to ease into the water until it was belly button height for the children. With Alex crying out, "Momma, Momma!", Jerry could see that it might be in their best interest to stay at the back of the class, so he held back and let Alex get used to the water at his own pace.
It was about this time I realized I had probably better make myself disappear because Alex wasn't going to focus on the swim activity if he was constantly looking to me to rescue him. So I went into the lobby of the facility and watched through some windows where he couldn't see me.
The swim teacher gave everyone pool rings to play with, and Jerry and Alex just sat at the entrance to the pool and played with the rings until Alex stopped crying. It wasn't long before he was laughing and splashing and having a good time (although Jerry said it felt like a long time and that he wondered what all of the other parents there thought of him keeping his crying kid in the pool!). I reassured him that the aquatics director had pulled me aside before I made myself scarce and said he was doing all the right things - distracting Alex while he got used to the water and not giving up. "Keep coming," she said. "Kids who are intimidated begin to have fun once they get used to knowing that everything's going to be ok."
| At first, Alex pushed the pool ring away and wanted nothing to do with it. |
| Clinging on for dear life! |
| Way to go, Little Man! We're so proud of you! |

4 comments:
Noni and PopPop are so very proud, too! Way to go, Alex!! (and, Dad!) XOXOXOXOXOXOXO
What a fun adventure for Alex and Jerry! It's great that you guys are getting him used to the water. I'm signing Jackson up this year too. As long as they are having fun I think that's all that matters - even if they aren't keeping up with the rest of the class. He's going to have a lot of fun this summer playing in the water. :-)
What a fun daddy and son activity. As much as little man liked the water last year, I have no doubt he will be swimming like a fish in no time! The first few times of anything new is always scary, even for adults! haha!
You guys have a fun summer ahead, for sure! Love and miss you!
Yay, Alex! I know it can be a little overwhelming at first but I bet Alex will be a little fish by the end of the summer! Good for you for thinking ahead!
By the way, Kaitlynn is signed up for the "survival swim" lessons next month, the ones that Connor took to float on his back. I have a feeling you'll be able to hear her screaming all the way to VA! :-)
Post a Comment