3.12.2011

A day just for Alex

Today (Saturday) is the day I've been dreading since Jerry left for India. I'm used to him being gone during the weekdays for work, and occasionally he has to travel to Chicago for a few days at a time, so I'm also used to having a few evenings a month without him home, too. But not the weekends. Fortunately, our Sundays are usually pretty full between church in the morning and our church group in the late afternoon so I knew I'd have that to occupy our time tomorrow, but Saturdays are wide open.  While I'm perfectly content to stay at home most of the time, I just couldn't do it today. It felt too lonely.
So I made a plan to create a day that was just about spoiling Alex. Somehow, spoiling him brought me great joy.
I got up early this morning to get myself ready before Alex woke up. After breakfast and a morning video call with daddy, Alex and I took off for Target. I had a few household things to pick up, but our main reason for going was to try to find him some Cars toys. He loves his Cars sticker books so much, I thought he might enjoy a Lightning McQueen car and Tow Mater truck. Our Target didn't have a great selection, so I told Alex we'd hit Toys R Us after our lunch at Chick-fil-A to see what we could find there.

At Chick-fil-A, he ate all of his nuggets, most of his fruit and drank all of his milk. I always smile when he eats well. Afterward we hit Toys R Us and found the Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater cars. (Oh, and did I mention that I got Alex some Reese's Pieces Easter Eggs as a snack treat, too? =) )
I also found another little goody that I thought he "needed" to have - a Thomas the Train bath toy. He loves trains, and I recently had to purge all of the bath toys that squirted water (which was mostly what he had) because of all the gunk that builds up inside that really grosses me out. So, see? He really did need it. ;-)

After Toys R Us, it was time for a nap, and then we hit the park. Alex has been dying to break in his new wagon outdoors, and since the weather was fabulous today, we took full advantage. We also saw the coal train pass by when we were at the park, and it was going slow enough that the engineer opened his window and waved at us as he passed by. Wish I had gotten a photo of that, but I wasn't that quick on the draw. Anyway, here are some pics from our park adventures.


Overall, today was much better than I thought it would be. I'm glad we kept busy and filled our day full of fun things. I feel like the toughest day is behind us, and I'm looking forward to Jerry's return home next week!

9 comments:

Allyson said...

I LOVE the close-up of your Little Man. Sounds like a fun day you had. We also went to Target and Chick-fil-A today with two of our three kiddos. I felt the most "normal" I have since being here, but still with a missing piece. I am so looking forward to when we can go to "our" Target and Chick-fil-A with all three kiddos in tow.

I hope you are feeling well. How about a belly shot?

Miss you lots!!

Lauri said...

What a FUN day! I'm so glad the weather improved and you could get out with LM. Doesn't it do wonders for your mood? It definitely sounds like a fun day for the two of you, and I bet Alex is loving his special treats from his Mommy. There is nothing wrong with spoiling our babies from time to time! And I'm so glad you were able to get a picture of the two of you -- it's such a great shot that shows how happy and carefree your day was. Miss you!

Tanna said...

LOOOOOOve that last photo of the two of you!! I know LM enjoyed his special day of spoiling! Would have loved to have been there for that myself. Did he wave at the engineer with his little "hi" wave? Glad it got warm enough for your park outing. Love you. XOXOXOXOXO

Dana said...

Yea for Lightening and Tow Mater!!!! Jackson would love to play cars with Alex. Jackson LOVES Thomas as well. Sounds like you guys had a great day! Just the perfect way to spend it with Daddy away. You captured a great photo of the both of you at the park. So glad you guys got to spend a special day together and that you got lots of fun pictures! Alex is lucky to have you as a mommy!

Ganny and Grandpa said...

i'm sooooo sorry to here you were a little bit lonely on sat. with the LORD's help jerry will be home and you'll will be together again. we are still praying for you'll. amanda , i loved that picture of you and alex. both of you look so good. have a blessed day. ganny and grandpa correa

Katherine said...

I had no doubt in my mind that you would make the most of your time with Jerry gone. I agree, there is just something about Saturdays and Sundays that screams FAMILY or just DADDY! haha!

I'm glad you and Alex had a special day/week together. You are really going to look back on all this time with just him with fond memories, especially once baby arrives.

I love buying the kiddos a little special something every now and then. The smile they get just melts the heart, doesn't it? So fun that he is getting into Cars now. Jacob and Luke would love to get out all their Cars characters and play too! And every time Luke watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, I think of you and Alex. :)

Thinking of you these next few days. You are on the home stretch now! :-)

nanny said...

It sounds like you did a great job of staying busy....and having fun in spite of being lonely.
A couple of days alone are plenty/uh?

nanny said...

I've loved catching up on your blog! I hope Jerry is home safe and sound and you guys are enjoying the weekend together. Looks like Little Man's room is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see the finished prduct. Nesting, isn't it the weirdest thing? I hope you are feeling great...think of you often. Can you believe how big our kiddos are getting? I'm amazed every day. Alex is so handsome with his new haircut :)

nanny said...

ok, last comment is me, Carrie, not Nanny!