Jerry and I are in the throws of converting our guest bedroom into – not a nursery, but – Alex's new big boy room.
I have held out on pictures because, well, quite frankly, the room is a huge mess, and there is still a lot of work to be done. But I just can't help myself. Jerry has done such an amazing job of making our vision a reality. So if you're up for seeing the "during construction" phase of our progress, I'll let you have a sneak peek. Please excuse the mess.
Here's the BEFORE:
And here's where we are TODAY:
See? LOTS of work still left to do. Crown molding, shelves in the built-in book cases, knobs on the cabinet doors, a kickplate at the base of the built-ins, and on and on. I promise more pictures to come later when the room is cleared out of the power tools and lumber scraps and everything is ready to be primed and painted. And just in case you're wondering, all of the new wood work will be white.
Now that we're making progress on the changes to the room, I'm trying to pull together the bedding. And that's where I need your opinions.
This room will have two twin beds. (Because it will still be used as a guest bedroom when needed and because I'm preparing for the day when the boys will (hopefully) share a room - we'll be all set with the bedding.) And the one thing I've decided on for sure is that each bed will have this quilt on the foot of it and one of the shams. I've loved this star quilt for years, and I've decided to splurge and order it!
Each bed will also have a duvet. I loved the duvet on our guest bed. It's hard to tell from the photo below, but it is a navy/ivory ticking stripe. I got it off of ebay, and my words to Jerry when he placed the bid were, "You must win this. Period." And so I thought that navy ticking stripe would be (will be!) precious with this star quilt. The problem is, I have searched the internet over for twin size (any size for that matter) navy ticking stripe duvet covers, but to no avail.
So then I started looking for fabric because I have a friend here who said she'd whip me up the duvet covers if I find the fabric I want. Score! Turns out, the search for the fabric isn't as easy as one might think. But I do think I may have found some. Here it is.
The problem is that the price tag on this stuff is not cheap - especially when we're having to make two covers. Oh sure, they make some that's cheap, but let me tell you that I've ordered swatches, and the stuff isn't all that soft. Now, I'm big on soft bedding, and since this room will still be used as our guest quarters, I can't have bedding that feels like sandpaper. You know what I mean?
In the meantime, I was doing another needle-in-the-haystack search for navy ticking bedding/fabric/whatever-would-come-up, and I came across this. Finally! A possibility! One side has the navy ticking stripe and the other side has khaki and navy stripes. First option I've seen in all of my searching.
I'm torn. I still like the idea of an all-ticking stripe cover, but the one with the two sides would give some versatility as the boys get older. I just can't tell if the latter looks too "nice/grown-up" to go with the star quilt. So what do you think? And please don't just say, "I'm sure that whatever you pick will be nice." ;-) I need to hear your thoughts so that I can noodle on this some more and figure out what I'm going to do. Here are all the pieces together so that you can see them side-by-side.
Now, lay it on me.





10 comments:
I love the two sided one, but is it navy or denim blue? I think you might like having the khaki option if the blues go well together. (and i like those signs in that room. not for any particular room. i just like them... they are words.) Think I would vote for option 2. But, "whatever you pick will look wonderful!!"! =D
PS love. love. love. the star bedding!!! And, the room is looking great. xoxoxoxoxoxo
Ok. First thing first. I didn't get to comment on the previous posts...YOU.GO.GIRL. on your huge shopping spree to Kroger. You are one mean-coupon-saving-momma! I will say that the thought of all that makes me seriously tired, the preparations, planning, organizing, the actual shopping, the unloading and putting away of all that stuff...whew...makes me TIRED just typing it all out! :) But I'm happy you were able to get it all done and keep LM entertained the whole time. MM on the iphone...what a saving grace!
Now, on to the new room--LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the star bedding. It looks just like something you would pick out. And I do love the two sided cover. It's the perfect match with the stars, in my opinion! :) And it would be a perfect combo for guest room/boys room. I knew you would pull something off like this that was oh-so-cute for that room! I can't WAIT to see the final product, all those finishing touches are going to be great. Can't wait!
I like the two sided bedding as well because I think the khaki looks like it will tie in with the stars and does give versatility to the room down the road. It would be accented with other wood accents in the room, like picture frames, too.
I agree with you however on how some certain bedding is too difficult to find. I've been looking for blue chambray king size pillowcases for a couple of years and they are impossible to find. Though I guess I did find a pair for $100, but I refuse to spend that on a pair of pillowcases!
I'm amazed at how wonderfully handy Jerry is! We need him to come visit us for a weekend and whip a few projects into shape! I can't wait to see more pictures!!
I agree that the two-sided bedding is my favorite for all of the previously mentioned reasons - versatility, etc. I absolutely LOVE it! And wow, Jerry is incredible at the woodwork and you guys have such talent in transforming your vision into reality. That is one word I will forever associate with you - VISION!! It never ceases to amaze me how you find various items of different styles, colors, patterns, etc. and put together a magazine-worthy room that leaves your guests in awe. Alex is super lucky to have such devoted parents that want to make his big boy room so special, and I can NOT wait to see the end result!!
I LOVE the star bedding. I think whatever you choose will be perfect. I know that's not what you want to hear. I can't say that one would be better than the other. The room is looking so beautiful! Just think of all the fun adventures Alex and his little brother will have together when they share a room! I know the room is going to be just perfect when you are done!! Can't wait to see how it all turns out. Is baby going to take over Alex's room as is or are you changing that too?
Love you!!!
OK, I hate to go along with the corwd, but I, too, love the two-sided bedding because it gives more dimension and interest to the room. I don't think it's too grown up at all with the star quilt. I am definitely going to put you and Jerry to work on a vision for our new nursery for the twins when you come to visit, since we should know the gender by then. I don't know if we can pull it off they way you all do, but we can try!
Well I guess I am on my own! I think the blue ticking. I know it is more expensive with the fabric, but I think it is more classic and will be easy to make grown up say with baseballs or something. Love the built-ins...I am jealous because I wanted Wes to do bookcases and a big window seat in Isabel's room but he was a little unsure about making it and it looking really nice so I went with normal bookcases...boring! Oh well, her room still turned out great! Love the idea of "the boys"...that just sounds FUN! Hope you are feeling well...miss yall!
I'm with Coriah23.....I like the blue ticking, but if it feels like sandpaper, no!
With your ideas and Jerry's tools, this room is going to be fit for Pottery Barn catalog.
I can't wait to see the end result...
The star bedding is perfect!
Stick with your original heart's desire lil Miss. I like the fabric. If you don't get it, you'll always think you settled for something that wasn't your original plan :) It's so super cute and I want ya'll back in TX so we can hire Jerry to do some work around here! He's an amazing handyman! well, he's an amazing man, but you already know that too! Miss ya!
Post a Comment