I was out running errands today, and everywhere I went I could see "signs of Friday." I think the warm weather (we had temps in the lower 70s today) got people even more anxious for that five o'clock whistle to blow.
I saw the all-American, hard-working man leaving the store with a case of beer. You could tell that he was looking forward to a night of relaxation and good times. Maybe with family? Maybe with friends? I love the idea of getting together with family and friends for a little R&R on a Friday night to unwind after a long week.
I also saw a group of guys hanging out with their motorcycles at the local barber shop. I imagined that they were getting ready for a weekend road trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm not sure of their story, but I want to believe that they were eager to welcome the weekend with a fun adventure.
People all throughout our neighborhood were on their front porches, slowing down to take in this fabulous Friday evening. One of our neighbors invited us over to their porch while some of our other neighbors joined, too. I love those impromptu get-togethers - spending a few moments connecting with others.
After hanging out with our neighbors, we came home to a little Friday evening celebration of our own. We made homemade pizza. I use that term lightly because it was Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough, Ragu sauce, cheese and pepperoni. Nothing fancy; just the kind of ease I was looking for. And Little Man seemed to have a fun time making it.
First the cheese.
Let me explain Jerry's laugh. When he showed Alex how to put on the cheese, he sprinkled it around and said, "ahhhh," in a whisper-like tone. You know, just like how you say it after a refreshing drink of an ice-cold soda. So naturally, Alex followed his lead, sprinkling cheese and saying, "ahhhh." We got such a kick out of his enthusiasm.
Then came the pepperoni.
Once again, the best part of being a sous chef - getting to taste test as you go along. He takes after both his momma and his daddy here. We love to nibble along the way.
And finally, here he is putting the taste-tested pepperoni directly onto the pizza in its half-eaten state.
Yep, that's how we roll around here. Half-eaten pepperoni on our semi-homemade pizza. Still yummy just the same. And the perfect way to start our weekend.
Happy Friday, all. Hope your weekend is full of all your favorite things.


6 comments:
Sounds like a great Friday night to me. We've made that same pizza many a times at our house. Last time, though, we made homemade crust with my new bread maker. YUM!
I was just thinking the other day how much I used to LOVE Fridays when I was working. Still do because it means I am about to have Laine's help for 2 whole days! :-) But not quite in the same way as before. I also used to love Fridays when I was single because it meant happy hour at On the Border with my teacher friends - kind of like those guys buying the beer at the store.
Glad you got to enjoy some porch time with neighbors. It sure is nice to have nice neighbors to chat with!
Hope you have a great weekend!
What a fun post! Fridays are the best aren't they? The start of family time, friend time, doing the things you enjoy or the things you just have to do.
The homemade pizza is very fun, even with the half eaten pepperoni. In fact, the last time I hosted our friend dinner we all made our own pizzas. Except, my was a tad bit easier...I used the Bobili crust. No popping open the can and rolling out! lol! Something the kids could enjoy making and eating and something we could all customize from an assortment of toppings! Oh and tonight for our friend dinner we had taco salads. Again, everyone could create their own. I will get back to actually COOKING for our friend dinners, I will, I will! Haha! Oh how the menu for our dinners have changed! :)
Here's to hoping that comfortable, spring-like weather will stick around for you guys! :)
Looks like it was a wonderful Friday afternoon! I know that pizza was the best ever with those sweet hands helping out!!! XOXOXO
This is a great post and great photos, as usual. You captured the feel of a Friday afternoon perfectly, especially before a 3 day weekend. Griffin is a fan of tasting and replacing too. We had some friends over for dinner Saturday night and I put out some olives to snack on before dinner. Griffin kept taking one, eating half and then putting it back in the bowl. Needless to say, our friends did not eat many olives. :)
How cute....little chef! There is nothing wrong with any of those ingredients, I happen to love all of them/ha. Crust is better than anything I can make (I tried and finally just gave up)
The homemade pizza looks so fun and it's such a great idea to get our little ones involved. Connor asks me all the time to help fix dinner and I usually decline because I'm too tired and don't want to mess with it, but if I could just be a little more patient then he would probably be MUCH more willing to eat what we fix! Hope you're having a great week, and here's to another fun Friday tomorrow!! :-)
Post a Comment