Life is so hard sometimes, isn't it? I have some friends who are going through some tough days.
I have one friend who is a sleep-deprived mom to a nine-week old baby girl. This is her first child. She is trying to "learn the ropes" as they say, all while her husband, a PA, works long hours at the hospital. I wish this were all she was juggling. Unfortunately, her father has been diagnosed with stomach cancer and doctors told him last week that chemotherapy is no longer a viable option for him. They are looking into Hospice care options. He lives two hours away, and she is trying to spend as much time as possible with him to soak up every minute she can. All while learning the ropes of parenthood. I simply cannot imagine. The hormones. The lack of sleep. The effort of finding your way as a new mother. All while watching someone you love deeply suffer physically, mentally, and emotionally. Coming to the realization that - short of a miracle that they are praying desperately for - the time left with that someone is likely less than more.
I have another friend who is a stay-at-home mom to a nearly four-month old who seems to like the late night hours and a very - and I do mean very - busy two and a half year old. With a night-owl for a baby, momma's not getting as much sleep as she'd like. Which makes for long days trying to juggle all that comes her way with a baby and a toddler - especially when running on fumes. Sometimes I try not to imagine how hard these days are for her because I know that my time is coming, and I'd like to live in denial as long as possible. But the truth is, I know that she's got days where she's struggling to keep her head above water.
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a so-called "easy button" that we could all just push when the going gets tough?
Well, we may not have easy buttons, but we do have a Lord who loves us and whose word tells us:
"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness." (2 Peter 1:3)
Fortunately, my two friends have a deep love and knowledge of the Lord, and I know that He will lift them up during their difficult days. They are an inspiration to me. They will rise above their circumstances stronger than ever. And this word is a reminder to me that no matter what we go through in life, God - in His divine power - has given us everything we need. For the good days. For the rotten days. All of it. Easy button? Nah. I'll take promises and encouragement from my God instead.
5 comments:
Thankfully for those moms they have you, which is the next best thing to an easy button. My heart ached for both of them as I read your post. Motherhood...big sigh.
Easy button needed here! There must be a full moon! Lots of tears today from this momma! Hormones aren't quite back to where they need to be! Lots of prayers said today! :)
I know there is growth and deepening of character in hard times. Waaaaaaay down the line, I still remember some dark hours I can't really say, even now, that I'm glad I had; but, they did shape me and I did survive. What else I know is that God can lift you when you can't lift yourself... we only have to ask. Your friends are in my prayers.
PS: Noni = Easy Button (available in Texas anytime and an occasional VA model) ;)
Oh my goodness Amanda. This post was perfect! It spoke to my heart more than you will ever know. And after talking to Lauri yesterday and talking to Kat all the time I know it probably helped them too! Let me just say that after reading about your first friend I just feel like I have NOTHING to complain about. I simply cannot imagine what she must be going through. I will keep her family in my prayers over the coming days.
I think part of the difficulty of the situation that I and most of my mom friends are in is that we feel guilt (on top of whatever has us down) when we are having those hard days because we know that we are truly blessed beyond measure. I just keep trying to remind myself that it's okay to have hard days even when I am loving what I'm doing. I am also trying to accept that I don't look the way I'd like to right now and that I just can't accompish all I'd like to each day.
I love the verse you chose to post. I actually recently started a little notebook where I am writing down verses that speak to me and I am definitely going to jot this one down. I hope I can use it someday to encourage someone the way you've encouraged me. God gave you the gift of encouraging words and I thank Him for that!
p.s. When #2 comes and you are having a hard day call me and I will DEFINITELY understand!
Love you!
I am so sorry to hear about your friend and her father. I truly can't imagine.
I find it so incredible that yesterday when you wrote this post and when Dana wrote her post, I was having the worst day I've had in months and unable to stop the tears for most of the day. Dana and I chatted a bit which uplifted me so much, and then to find out that you and Katherine, too, were both searching for that "easy button" at the same time... well, it just goes to show that we are NEVER alone. There is just nothing more comforting that spending time in the presence of other Moms going through the exact same issues and emotions as you. And thank you for the reminder that God is always there for us for that extra boost of encouragement and peace during the crazy, chaotic days that usually fill our existence as stay-at-home moms. I admit that I need to take more time to focus on Him when I have those bad days. Love and miss you, girl!!
Post a Comment