11.07.2010

What in the world?!

This morning, Alex and I were reading one of his Curious George books.
He loved it because of the elephants (he loves making elephant sounds). I loved it because it was short enough to hold his attention.

And then we get to page 9 where the people are having picnics on the grass. "Look, Alex. Isn't that fun? Momma loves picnics on the grass."
"But wait! That's not just food he's inhaling!" That man is SMOKING A CIGARETTE!

Seriously? In a children's book in the 21st century?

Dear Houghton Mifflin Company,

I'm just curious. Were your book editors asleep on the job the day this book was getting ready for the reprint? Please tell me how you think it's acceptable to have an image like this being printed in a children's book these days. 

Taking it off the shelf,
A shocked and disappointed mom

7 comments:

Tanna said...

You can sure tell that is from a LONG time ago... same time as when the ads in the magazines had the doctors puffing away while have a patient visit and recommending whatever brand the ad was for. Thank goodness we have come to our senses. About that(Lord only knows what the doctors are recommending that may seem just as ludicrous in 25 or 50 years... no, I'm not trying to make some veiled rant about vaccines... well, okay. maybe I am.)! The good news is that eventually, we learn. It is a shame that Houghton Miffin missed that abomination!! Just out of curiosity (no pun intended), what was the initial copywright date??

Amanda said...

©1985 for the book. ©2004 for the cover. I checked that, too.

Dana said...

Wow. That's interesting... Jackson has a whole set of curious george books. I'll have to keep my eye out for such images. Good think Alex probably didn't notice!

Lauri said...

Crazy! I would've never noticed that!

Allyson said...

Oh my... I'm right with you, girl!

nanny said...

I can't believe that!! I mean really.......

Katherine said...

Seriously! Why oh why did they think that was necessary to complete that illustration? Makes no sense to me!