There's no substitute for the bedtime-bottle snuggle. It was haaaaaaard to let go of that, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it. But we do still get an occasional snuggle at night when Little Man sits in our laps to read his favorite book of the moment, Time for Bed. He will sit quietly while we read, and he likes to help turn the page when we prompt him that it's time. He's gotten to where he can point out the "little calf" or "little goose" or the other "little animals" when you ask him where they are. Time for Bed is the only book we own that he will sit through beginning to end. And anytime we are in his room, he points right to that book for us to read it to him.
I do hope he's like his Noni when it comes to reading books. She's an avid reader. Me, on the other hand, not so much. But I am trying to read books to him all throughout the day as we play together - even if we do only make it through a page or two before he moves on to the next thing - because I think it's sooooo important for his development.
Speaking of development, I've started looking at some preschool curriculum that helps children learn letters, numbers, colors, and shapes. A girl's got to be prepared when the time comes. I've talked with one of the ladies in my women's group about developing our own curriculum that we can share and use to teach our children because the stuff I've found online is expensive. Really expensive. We've decided we need to develop a framework of content that each lesson would have. For example, each lesson (letters, numbers, colors, or shapes) would have a story, a song, a craft or a game, a snack idea, and a bible verse. So if we were learning about the letter "F," maybe the story would be about Jesus and the Fishes and loaves. The snack could be goldfish. A craft could be making Footprint Fish. A bible verse would come from the story. You get the idea.
What I'd love to hear from you is - what age did your kids start learning colors, shapes, numbers and letters. And what kinds of things did you do to help them learn? Or, if they were in school, did you learn any tricks from their teachers? Do you have any good resources you can recommend? Any good stories for preschoolers? I'm trying to get a head start in the organization of some of this stuff so that when Alex is ready, I've got some things together to start teaching him with a bit more structure.
5 comments:
That picture is so, so sweet! Kudos to you guys for starting the great reading habits so soon. As much of a reader as I am, I'm not sure why I've never been a big fan of reading to my kids??
Your curriculum ideas are so inspiring! It's so great to start early, as I believe it just becomes ingrained in them at a young age and makes learning fun. I can't remember when Connor learned his letters/shapes, etc., but I know he was having lessons like that (at daycare) before he really "got it" and then one day later it would just sink in. So I'm so proud of you for starting early; I know you won't regret it!
Reading to them is SO important! We read with Jackson all the time and I'm glad to report that he now sits through books very well and can enjoy several books at a time. Especially at bedtime.
As far as learning colors, shapes, etc. Jackson had lots of exposure to that this year in day care and Laine and I are amazed at some of the stuff he knows. I think they had a time every day that they went over numbers, letters, shapes, etc. But I still believe the very best thing you can do is read, point to and name things ALL the time, and just plain spend time talking to your child about what's around you in the real world. I look at everywhere we go and everything we do as a learning opportunity. When we walk down a set of stairs we count, when we read books we name and label all the objects to increase his vocabulary, we point out shapes in the environment, etc. I do think you will do a lot of that at Alex's age and feel like he's not getting anything out of it but he IS! It will just take a while for him to verbalize what he knows. As far as any curriculum - girl I have no idea! I haven't done any "lessons" with Jackson. But I definitely think your ideas are great and he would probably really enjoy them. I know lots of people that are "homeschooling" their kids for pre-school. It sure would save a lot of money.
I believe kids learn the most from their experiences in the real world. I saw it all the time in school. You can quickly tell the kids that have limited world experiences (they probably watch a lot of t.v., don't get read to, and have busy parents that don't spend a lot of time with them). On the other hand you can quickly see the kids that have spent time reading, going places, and talking with their parents about what they are doing and what's going on around them. I truly believe that's where kids learn the most!
This picture is amazing. It is like an advertisement for reading to your child. Griffin looooves to turn pages of books, but is not so much in to the content yet, though I try. Great job on reading to Alex, I may have to try that book out!
I believe every word of Dana's comment. I also believe we learn many of our greatest lessons by just observing the people we love. =)
Wow- good for you Amanda for wanting such a structured learning environment for Alex. I have to say, I always incorporate learning in the every day things we do. Now this does include sitting down and looking at letters or doing a puzzle that was all about shapes or reading a book about number and colors etc. But I have found from an early age on that the more the boys felt like they were getting a "lesson" from me, they were done. And I can assure you that both boys could recognize their letters/numbers/colors/shapes between the ages of 2-2 1/2, but really closer to 2. And that was just from the little things we did during the day.
However, the example you gave of incorporating everything into one lesson is a great idea. Very unique way of teaching. But I will say that the way that you already "mother" Alex is already teaching him all he needs to know, regardless of a "plan" or not. You are very attentive to him, always teaching and I can tell you he will learn so much from that interaction with you. But I know you will find the perfect plan for you and your little guy, one that will make you feel fulfilled that Alex is learning all that he can. You're such a great Mommy! :)
Post a Comment