8.03.2011

Roary and Andrew - 2 months

Sweet little "Ah-yoo" (as Alex calls him) turned two months old yesterday.
2 months
Andrew - 2 months
What do you think, do he and Alex favor?
2 mos
Alex - 2 months
I love this stage - the smiles and coos are finally coming! Just when the sleep deprivation is catching up to me, the smiles and coos begin to surface. It's like a carrot dangling in front of my nose to keep me going. =)

This is the closest I've come to capturing a photo of one of the smiles. Plus you get the bonus of seeing how diligently he works that tiny little tongue of his.
_MG_2990 copy
Our Littlest Man is such a content baby. He is happy much of the time. He especially likes his bath time where he just lies there and enjoys getting himself cleaned up and smelling good.
_MG_3501 copy
We've continued to fight diaper rashes. I tell you what, his poor little bottom is red more often than not it seems. And I've tried everything short of cloth diapers. We'll get it all healed up, and then we're back at it again. We're going through Triple Paste like there's no tomorrow, and that stuff isn't cheap. But it seems to work the best, so Triple Paste it is. We're moving on from the tube to the tub – at least we'll get some economies of scale!

We moved Andrew into his crib around week 5, so he's no longer sleeping in our room. Overall, he's done great. Our only struggle is that he has a rough time getting settled in when we first put him down in the evenings. We can get him to sleep in our arms and transfer him to bed ok, but about five or ten minutes in, he wakes up. It takes us a few tries to get him to actually drift off for good. His bedtime is around 9 p.m., and he is still waking up every three to four hours. Occasionally he'll go for a longer stretch of time, but it's inconsistent. He also gets quite restless somewhere between 5 and 6 a.m. It always seems like he's working so hard to fill his diaper but just can't quite make a go of it. Once he does, he settles back down for more sleep.

He's a great little napper, too. I often put him in his car seat for naps. He seems to like the warmth and coziness of it all. Plus it allows for some portability if a certain Little Man is loud during the Littlest Man's nap times – I can move him upstairs easily or to another room as necessary.

Speaking of the Little Man, he seems to be transitioning better these days. I try very hard to make one-on-one play time with him while Andrew is sleeping. That seems to help a lot. If he hasn't gotten the attention he needs, he becomes very disobedient. And I become very frustrated. I have to quote this scripture to myself repeatedly these days, "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." (Ephesians 4:2)

The two Little Men seem to enjoy playing together, especially on the play mat. Alex LOVES to show Andrew his cars, too. See the upside down car next to Andrew in the photo below? That was lovingly placed there by Alex, who tried to share his pretzels and water with Andrew the other day, too.
_MG_3035 copy
Andrew also seems to be picking up a thumb-sucking habit from his older brother. I've noticed that the paci is starting to take a back seat to the hand/thumb. Usually the left hand/thumb like his brother, too. Two thumb-suckers. Oh how I dread when the time comes to break this habit...
_MG_3935
Yesterday we gave Andrew his first bottle. He wasn't all that interested. He didn't get frustrated; he simply didn't drink it. I'd put the bottle in his mouth, and he just kind of played with it. He only drank about one ounce and that was over the period of an hour or so. We'll try again, but so far, he seems to prefer nursing.

That's about it from the home-front for now. Time to go see about a nap. =)
2 months sleepy

8 comments:

Dana said...

Oh, I loved this update on sweet Andrew!!! I definitely see some similarities between the boys but these pics show Andrew's very own precious look. He sure is growing. So sorry to hear about the diaper rashes. That's no fun. And the night sleeping issues were the same for us with Ryan. He had such trouble going to bed at that age and he slept for such short intervals. It's SO hard. Until they start going longer stretches you are just running on fumes during the day. Keep up the hope - he will get there - it's just very hard in the meantime. Interesting that he might be a thumb sucker too. Wonder if it's hereditary? Hope he will take a bottle for you soon. Helps to get out of the house if they will take one. Ryan did for a few months but then wouldn't anymore.

Glad to hear alex is adjusting. Jackson was pretty easy with disciline until Ryan came. That's when things got harder for us. I guess they are learning to share mom. It can be very trying, especially when you are tired. The disobedience is definitely worse when you are distracted. Hoping it just gets better for you.

I'm anxious to catch up soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Amanda, I'm loving all the updates. I can not believe Andrew is 2 months already! Wow, that was fast! And what a precious little peanut he is! Perfect little round face and those big brown eyes. I see lots of Alex but also lots of his own look. They will definitely look like brothers! I love that!

I remember Sarah doing the same thing with the sleep at that age. It just takes their bodies so long, I feel like, for them to get on track with the sleeping. Oh and I can SO relate to the misbehaving with the siblings. I remember having a harder time with Jacob right after Sarah was born and then Luke's came a little later. So much adjustment in their little worlds!

I'm so glad to hear that he is for the most part a content baby! What a blessing! Give those babies a hug and kiss for me! Can't wait to see you guys again and meet that precious Andrew!
Katherine

The Little Adventures of LueLee said...

Oh How Time Flies!!! I love all the little pictures and hearing how they are getting along... And Thumbies are the easiest way to break a thumb sucker I am speaking from experience :) LOVE YALL!!!!xoxoxox

Solar Powered said...

There is no way that baby is 2 months old! I loved this post. It took me back to those emerging smile days. The fun you are having cultivating your family certainly shows through your words. Very, very sweet.

And the disobedience? Little LC is the same way. I can tell when she needs my undivided attention because the hitting and sassy mouth starts :) Too bad it took me a month to realize what she needed...

Lauri said...

I LOVED reading all of the updates about Andrew. It's soooo hard seeing his adorable baby face and not being there to get some of his sweet cuddles! I agree with the other girls...he definitely favors his big bro' but also has his own look. And oh my, that tongue! How cute is that?! It's so hard to believe he has passed the 2-month mark already. I'm so glad all your efforts are being rewarded with sweet coos and smiles. There is just nothing like those...NOTHING!

Love and miss you!!

Tanna said...

Oh, I'm missing out on so much. Makes me so sad, but I am glad you are keeping this blog going. Even though I know it is hard to find a moment to yourself these days, it is really a treasure to me. Thank you. Love you all so big... to the moon and back... bigger than the sky! xoxoxoxox

Allyson said...

These pictures are AMAZING! It helps when you have super cute kiddos to photograph :)

nanny said...

The pictues of Andrew are so adorable.....he is a little doll!
Hard to believe he is 2 months old...where do the days go?