4.19.2010

Soliciting Opinions

Blog readers, I need some help.

For months I've been in a quandary about how to best create a dining area in our little kitchen. Here are some pics of our kitchen. (I could have sworn I had more updated shots, but this is all I could find for some reason, and these are mid-remodel.)


So, if your back is to the sink, you see the black built-in cabinet and a small space for dining. The window on the left of the built-in is right next to the end of the row of cabinets in the first picture. Does that make sense?

Right now we have a black pedestal table in the dining space which is just a tad too big when you put the chairs around it. And it can't be completely centered because of how the refrigerator is situated. This drives me crazy.

So I've been eyeing this little island at Crate and Barrel which would be PERFECT!!


The color is great. The design matches the wainscoting work that Jerry did on the wall to the right of the built-in. The width is perfect and won't obstruct too much of the space needed to open the refrigerator or the walking space needed to get through from the dining area to the sink. We've been saving to purchase this.

But here's where the quandary comes in. I found this tattered little gem at the local thrift store last week.


For $45, I couldn't pass her up. I mean, look at some of these details.



I think we could replace the top, paint her up and make this an island. The height and depth are the exact same as the C+B island, but the width is about six inches wider. It could work, but it would be a little tighter in the space. 

My other option with this piece is to create a buffet of sorts for the dining room which could also be repurposed as a dresser (it's original use) later on. But if I make it an island, it will have limited use...as an island.

So what do you think? C+B island that's perfect as is or the little charmer with some character? And if your vote is for the trash to treasure piece, what color would you paint the bottom and what type of top would you put on it? 

8 comments:

nanny said...

Oh Amanda they are both great! Whichever you choose I know it will be perfect! You are so talented (got it from your Mom). Can't wait to see which you choose.

Solar Powered said...

My vote is for that little treasure to become a buffet and then a dresser someday. I LOVE the C & B island and think it would be perfect with the look of your kitchen, sorry to pick the one that is more dollars but it is perfect...chair and all.

Where do you find such used treasures?

Allyson said...

For what it's worth, I also like the C&B island for the kitchen and the treasure for the buffet and then a dresser (the dual purpose would be great). I'm looking forward to seeing your house in person!

Tanna said...

Looks like the C$B island is in the lead for the kitchen. =) I'm voting for whichever one makes your heart smile when you think of it there! XOXOXO

Lauren said...

I love the idea of the treasure for the kitchen as an island BUT only if its possible to salvage the original top when you remove it to make the island. That way it can be reattached in the future if you want to repurpose. If you can not save the top, I would not destroy her to save her as an island and would stain her a nice rich cherry as a buffet or dresser. If making her an island works, I would paint the bottom black and the top butcher block like the C&B one. The C&B is nice but lacking the character that Mirabelle has in spades. Wow. I just reread this and sound very opinionated about it all but making your home special is near and dear to my heart and I know yours as well. :)

Lauri said...

Oh girl, I wish I was better at this stuff. My thought (for what it's worth, ha!) is along the lines of the others...get the C+B piece for the kitchen and use the other piece in the dining room. And bravo for rescuing her...I'm sure she'll look fab by the time you're done with her!! I sure wish I had your vision, girl... :-)

Katherine said...

You are so good at finding little treasures along the way and turning it into something great. I would tend to lean toward the C&B piece soley from a space standpoint. Seems like that would fit better. But no matter which way you go, it will look great. I can't wait to see after pictures and especially after you fix up that little treasure! Have fun!

Dana said...

YOu know I have zero advice when it comes to decorating but I know whatever you come up with will be perfect! Please show updated pictures when you decide what to do!