4.05.2010

Little Man's First Easter


When I spend quiet time thinking about Easter, I tend to reflect on it through Christ's perspective. What must it have felt like to be betrayed by friends who claimed to love you? To be wrongfully accused by a bunch of legalists? To be misunderstood by the very people you wanted desperately to help? To have a love so deep for the Father that you would willingly go to the cross so that others can share in that love, too? It's really too much to fully comprehend, isn't it? 


And Easter, much like Christmas, took on a whole new meaning for me this year. As a mom, I couldn't help but think of the events of Easter through the eyes of a parent as well. How painful must it have been to see your child betrayed? To see your child mocked? To see your child tortured? To see your child brutally murdered among the lowest of the low? All when He was simply trying to love people and show them a gracious and loving God. Just typing those words is enough to make my eyes well-up with tears. I just can't imagine.


I also spent some time this Easter thinking about God's two greatest commandments - love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength and love your neighbor as yourself. 

As parents, we wish only the best for our children. Our hearts ache at the thought of them facing any kind of mean-spiritedness in this world. I think God feels the same way – He wants the best for us. I think He would love for us to be met with all the kindness the world has to offer. That's why He commands love of us - His children.

His word tells us that there is no greater love than he who lays down his life for a friend. I am so grateful this Easter that we have that kind of love. That Christ laid down his life for me. I pray that one day, Alex will come to appreciate that gift, too.


Hope you had a Happy Easter.

6 comments:

Dana said...

Looks like you guys had a nice Easter. I am so glad that Noni and Pop Pop were there to celebrate with you. Alex looks great in his sweater and his bunny is precious!!!

I enjoyed reading your reflections. We are truly blessed, aren't we? There would be no greater gift than for our children know and understand Christ's love for us.

Solar Powered said...

Happy Easter little man. You have a wonderful mother that loves you so much.
P.S. You look quite handsome in that new sweater.

nanny said...

Yes you are right Amanda, It is very hard to fully comprehend, but you expressed the feeling so clearly...very well said.
Alex looks so sweet in his sweater, with bunny!

Tanna said...

Ahhhmmm... Someone posted my photos before I could! ;)

Yes, it is overwhelming to consider the Easter story and all its implications. Such courage. Such sacrifice. Such love. Such resolve. And, from Mary's perspective... unimaginable. I know I have said it so many times... seeing The Pieta... the impact was so great... I have no words. I am grateful.

Katherine said...

Ok, I've been so behind on checking blogs. I just read the past 5 of yours. So much to comment on. I love the new living room set up. Where is the red couch? Is all the furniture new or did you refinish it? It looks great. I hope you are happy with it. You have been one busy girl!

I love the Easter pictures. Little man is loved, isn't he! :) He looks so precious in his sweater and holding his bunny. Your mom did a great job on both of those. It seems in every picture you post of him, he has more and more hair! So sweet!

And I love your Easter reflections. Easter is my favorite holiday by far b/c to me it is the most meaningful. So many thoughts to try to comprehend and understand. Trying to understand Christ's love for us is unimaginable but as a parent it is a bit easier to understand the depth of love plus some that Christ has for all of us. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Lauri said...

It is so easy for me to just go through the motions at Easter -- Easter outfits, egg hunts, church service, etc. -- and not really take the time to think and reflect on what it really means and why we celebrate Easter in the first place. So reading your post really put it into perspective for me. I've also found myself really struggling to explain to Connor what Easter means and why Jesus died on the cross. It's such a painful story to tell despite the good news in the end!

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful Easter and that you were able to spend it with your Mom. You all look so beautiful in the pictures, and Little Man's sweater and bunny are just perfect!!