1.10.2010

I Wanna Play

My friend Solar posted a survey on her blog to reflect back on 2009. I've already given some of my reflections, but this seemed too fun to pass up.

1.
What did you do in 2009 that you had never done before? Had a baby. Worked in my client's offices. Major home remodel projects on Mirabelle. Own an SUV as my personal vehicle - I've always owned cars.

2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions and will you make more for next year? I've never really believed in the whole New Year's Resolutions thing, so I didn't make any in 2009. But I've got a long list I'm working on for 2010. And I'm actually making pretty decent progress. Except for the exercise part. But don't give up on me yet. I've got a plan for that one, too.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes!! My dear friend Lauri gave birth to sweet little Kaitlynn about 3 1/2 weeks before Alex, and my dear friend Lauren gave birth to sweet little Griffin about 2 weeks before Alex was born. Sharing my experiences with these girls was really a lifesaver for me.

4. Did anyone close to you die? No one close to me. But my heart did break as I followed the blog for little Samuel Apinis who went to the arms of Jesus when he was a month old.

5. What places did you visit? Blackberry Farm was my only real vacation in 2009, but I also made several trips to Dallas for work, which meant I got to visit friends and family. I also made trips to Greensboro, NC and Centreville, VA to visit friends.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? Feeling good about life again.

7. What date from 2009 will remain etched in your memory and why? Nothing even comes remotely close to July 8. Every bit of anxiety about whether or not I would enjoy parenthood was washed away.

8. What was your biggest achievement this year? Alex was the biggest. But I'm pretty darn proud of all the progress we made on Mirabelle before he got here. We were non-stop pretty much right up until he arrived.

9. Did you suffer illness or injury? Just a painful recovery from giving birth. Six FULL weeks to recover from having him. And, no, I will never, ever, ever forget how it felt. No mommy amnesia on that one, I don't care what people say. Mom, back me up here.

10. What was the best thing you bought? That's tough. We splurged a little on the shower head we used in the master bath, and I love that thing. It's either that or the two diaper champs, which are coming in particularly helpful as Alex has started eating solids. LOL!

11. Where did most of your money go? Hands down - Mirabelle projects. Wow!

12. What song will always remind you of 2009? "At the Foot of the Cross" by Kathryn Scott. I listened to this over and over on one of my lowest days. It almost pains me to listen to it now because it takes me back to that day, but it is a sweet, sweet song.

13. What do you wish you would have done more of? It's always easy to say I wish I had done more of this, that or the other. But here's the truth, I was doing good to make it from one day to the next most of the time. I don't mean to make that sound as dramatic as it does, but I just didn't have the energy or the desire to do much of anything. If I did have to pick one thing, though, it would have been to spend more quality time with Jerry.

14. What do you wish you would have done less of? Stress.

15. What was your favorite TV program? Designed to Sell. I still love that show. And, HGTV, can you tell me why all you ever seem to show these days are episodes of House Hunters or House Hunters International? A little variety, please!

16. What was the best book you read this year? The Twilight Series. I was hooked!

17. What was your favorite film of the year? Grand Torino. And one of the few we saw in theaters.

18. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? That morning Jerry, Alex and I went with our dear friends Katherine, Jim and their boys, Jacob and Luke, to the Roanoke Star to lookout over the city before they had to leave to fly back to Dallas. And then Jerry made steaks for dinner that night while our friends Kirsten and Josh came over with baby Hailey. I turned 33.

19. What political issue stirred you the most? Yeah, I didn't pay too much attention to the news last year. In fact, I can't even recall the top headlines.

20. Who was the best new person you met? Have I ever mentioned how much I love Blogsville?! I love seeing the wit, the creativity, the inspiration. And I loved getting to meet - both on the blog and in real life - Nanny and Solar. I trust we'll make another real-life meeting again one of these days. =)

6 comments:

Deb said...

great honest answers...

Dana said...

What kind of car did you end up getting? Where have I been? Hoping your last few weeks of work are going well....

Katherine said...

Too fun! I'm so glad your hard, sad and overwhelming days are in the past. I have a good feeling for 2010 for you and your family! Here's to a great year!!!!

Solar Powered said...

I loved your answers, fellow car girl here, you have to turn that hands free on. You will love it.

nanny said...

What a great post. I love reading the survey...
I can't believe how much Alex is growing. All of a sudden it is all changing isn't it? I told Solar in no time Lila will be chasing the dogs thru the house/ha
Yes, I am going to Dallas, Monday, 18th. How long are you staying? She's off that day, so we'll be out and about I'm sure!

Lauri said...

So fun reading all your answers. Maybe I need to do it myself! And I think it's so neat that you have new blog friends...I need to hear the story!