7.02.2011

Roary and Andrew - 1 month old

This has felt like the fastest month of my life. I honestly can't remember a time where the days seem to have passed so quickly. One day blends right into another, and before I know it, a week has passed. And now a month.

It's all a bit of a blur, and I'm more saddened by that than glad. I know that in the blink of an eye these days will be gone. I'm trying my hardest to stay in each moment, but, boy, is it hard when you are getting by on fumes. I feel like I'm missing moments that I just want so badly to capture in my memory bank. Thank goodness for the blog or else so many more of those moments would be long lost.

Little Andrew is pure sweet goodness. He is just about as easy as they come. Here are a few details from his first month.

Roary & Roo 1 month a

• He is a wonderful eater. He eats anywhere from every two to four hours, and, in just over one week, he was back up to birth weight. At night, he's pretty consistent at eating every three hours, but he's been really easy to put back to sleep once he's eaten.

• He doesn't spit up much, but we have had a handful of times where he's had projectile spit up. This is a first for us, and I'm glad we're not seeing it very frequently.

• When he sneezes, he makes a little sigh/coo afterwards. Every time I hear him sneeze, I stop just to listen for that sweet little sound. If I could bottle the sound of innocence, that would be it.

• He enjoys spending time on his play mat. He tends to turn his head to the left quite a bit (this is true when he's sleeping or sitting in his car seat, too), so he'll stare at the animals on the side of the mat while he's lying there.

Roary & Roo 1 month b

• He's still sleeping in the pack and play in our room. I can tell that I'm going to have a hard time moving him to his crib. Especially because when he wakes up at night, he rarely cries to let me know he's ready to eat. He just makes a few grunts and roots around sticking his tongue out. Once I've fed him, I've been known to snuggle up with him in our bed once he's finished his early morning feeding.

• Speaking of snuggling, if he's restless and finding it difficult to settle down, I can usually lie down with him next to me on the sofa or in our bed, and he will calm himself and drift off to sleep. Oh, how I love those times. I especially love when he drifts off to sleep and he makes his funny little faces where he rolls his eyes around and smiles without knowing he's smiling. The right side of his mouth always curls up first. And it looks like there's a slight dimple in his right cheek. I could just eat him up! Those eye rolls and smiles are my absolute favorite part of the newborn stage.

Roary & Roo 1 month c

• In the last week, he's broken out with a pretty bad case of baby acne. We've also been dealing with bouts of diaper rash. Thank goodness for Triple Cream and a friend who recommended switching from Pampers Swaddlers with Dry Max to Pampers Baby Dry.

Some of you have asked how Alex has been adjusting. All in all he's doing pretty well, but it is definitely an adjustment for him. The nights are hardest. He's cried some evenings when it's time to go to bed, and we've had several nights where he's come into our room in the middle of the night. It breaks my heart. He also has times when he acts out in disobedience, but fortunately he doesn't act out towards Andrew. He actually seems to be really interested in Andrew and always wants to kiss his head. And whenever Alex comes into a room, he always looks for his baby brother. I think he'll really enjoy the time when they can play together.

We really are so blessed to have two such precious boys. They add so much joy to our family.

8 comments:

Dana said...

Oh I love the newborn sounds and funny faces. And the sigh after the sneeze- priceless. I'm so glad you are enjoying all the newborn sweetness. I'm impressed he goes back to bed so easily and quietly wakes up. A blessing for sure! I'm sure his early morning snuggles are so sweet.

It took Jackson a while to adjust and he definitely acted out at first. Your time is so consumed with a newborn. I think they just don't understand the change. It won't be too long before things get back to normal. And before you know it they will be playing and giggling together.

Your family pics turned out great. Can't wait to see if the professional ones turn out well.

Happy anniversary to noni a d Evan!

Tanna said...

That soft, sweet sound after the sneeze is the sweetest ever. I'm so glad he is such an easy baby and I pray for the time things will be easier on Alex. I know the time will come that they will have such a good time together. Love to all... Mom/Noni

Lauri said...

I just love reading all about sweet Andrew! If I can't see and experience his sweetness in person, then at least I can read about it! I just LOVE all those precious newborn sounds and cuddles. I am glad you are soaking it in! It DOES go by way too fast, doesn't it? Andrew's 1 month photos are SO great and I can tell he is filling out already. Great job, Mama! Miss and love you!

Anonymous said...

Little Andrew is just precious! I love all the updates and I love how much you are enjoying and adoring your little one! As hard as the newborn phase is, it is the most precious, innocent and sweet in my opinion. I love that you are taking the time to soak in all those sweet sounds, cuddles and special moments that you will always remember.

As fast as the time goes, Alex and Andrew will be best buds in no time. The affection Alex is showing Andrew already is only a glimpse of what you will see in the future. They will be "best brothers" (as Luke says) in no time! :-)

Oh and the family pictures are precious. I can't wait to hear what you think of the photographer's photos. Keeping my fingers crossed she got a few good ones. Love the coordinating clothes with you and Alex. Precious! Oh and I am asking for a tripod for my birthday. Jim is on it! I'm so tired of not ever having any family pictures. :-)
Katherine

nanny said...

1 Month.....can't be!!!
The second picture....those eyes.....Alex all over again. So precious...
your description of the precious moments is so sweet, I just love reading all about them!

Anonymous said...

Finally! I can comment. It's Carrie and I've so loved all the updates. Thank you for taking the time to share with us. Andrew is so sweet!

We had to switch to Huggies when Lila was about 10 days, that baby would scream when she had a pamper on...weird huh?

The Little Adventures of LueLee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Little Adventures of LueLee said...

He is just to cute!!!! I have also been made the messenger or all the birthday hugs, loves, and wishes from all of us here in West Texas :) We hope he has had a fantastic birthday!!! Sending Big 'ole Texas size hugs, loves, and wishes yalls way hope your ready to catch 'em.... LOVE YALL XOXOX