10.20.2009

Major Milestone

Yea, Alex! Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you for making your first full night of sleep!



Friday night - 8:30p - 6a
Saturday night - 8:30p - 5a
Monday night - 8:30p - 6:15a

Woo hoo!! We've had three nights of great sleep!

UPDATED COMMENT:
I'm not sure what I think about sleep training. We weren't hard core with Alex. I am more of a believer in watching for the patterns and signs of progress that he has going on and pushing him a little bit further in support of where I want him to be heading.

For example, for a while he would get up and eat around 1:30a and 4:30a. When I noticed him eating less and falling back asleep while he was eating, I figured that the next step would be coming soon. So one night he woke up at 2a, and he was only fussing - not really crying. So we tried giving him his paci to see if he would go back to sleep rather than eat. And he did. But only for an hour. Again at 3, we gave him the paci. And again at 4. Finally at 5 I fed him and then put him back down. We did this for two nights and then he started sleeping through the night.

Now if Alex were still eating strong during the night, and I felt like he really needed that, then I wouldn't have just let him cry it out. I think it has worked best for us if we take small steps of progress rather than trying to leap into the next phase. We're all a little happier that way. =)

6 comments:

Lauri said...

Ah, sooooo jealous! That is SUCH a milestone and I know you are so thankful (and rested)!

Alex, way to go!! Now could you send some sleepy thoughts over this way to Kaitlynn because she could use a little help in the sleep department!

Katherine said...

Wow- impressive!

He looks so much bigger since I saw him last time. And it looks like he's getting more hair!He's getting to be such a big boy!

Tanna said...

Yea!! Alex!!!

nanny said...

How wonderful...did you sleep or keep checking on Alex?

Dana said...

Yea! How exciting. At first you will probably wake up a lot but once he is sleeping straight through consistently you will too! Also, he may be inconsistent with it for a while but he'll have it down for good soon...

Solar Powered said...

Can you believe how great you feel with all that sleep? I've had some good nights this week myself; 7-8 hours uninterrupted!