10.16.2009

14 Weeks

On Wednesday Alex turned 14 weeks old. He's a happy baby.


A really happy baby.


These days he's quite interested in his hands. He looks at them. He clasps them together, puts both of his fists in his mouth, and just sucks away. It's funny to watch.


He also uses his arm to push his paci back in when it starts to fall out. He's talented, this one.

He can hold his head up really well. So we've started putting him in his Bumbo seat more often. Just the other day, we sat him in there while he watched his first Baby Einstein video. He loved that video. Watched the whole thing. He got tired of sitting in the Bumbo in the middle of the video, so we moved him to his swing, but he still kept watching till the very end.

He's losing lots of his baby hair. Whenever we give him his baths, we always scrub his scalp with his little hair brush to help with the cradle cap, and hair comes out like you wouldn't believe. I almost took a picture of it, but I figured that might be kind of gross to post.

Alex has also developed a new cry. It's actually a bit more like a whine. It's funny to hear, but Jerry and I are not fans of whining.

He's just starting to grab for toys. And they go straight to his mouth.

He drools. A lot. Every morning when we get him ready to go to Miss Mary Anne's house, we have to strap a bib on him to keep his clothes dry.


When he's on his back, he's starting to roll on his side.


We've started some sleep training. I use this term loosely. When I say sleep training, I mean we've stopped feeding him in the middle of the night. He still cries - more like fusses - so we'll go in to give him his paci, and he goes back to sleep for another hour or two. It's the same routine from 2:30a until about 5:30 or 6a. In the next few days, I think we'll start letting him cry it out for good. I dread those nights.

Speaking of sleeping, this is the first (and only) nap he's ever taken where he just fell asleep on his play mat. Without being held. Without crying. Without being swaddled. It was a rare occurance.


Alex really seems to like his time at Miss Mary Anne's. He's got two friends, David and Parker, who like to play with him. Miss Mary Anne sends us pictures all throughout the day, and I LOVE it! Especially when I get ones of him smiling.

3 comments:

Tanna said...

His little friends are cute! Glad to hear that he is enjoying his time at Miss Mary Anne's; I know that makes it much easier on you. That laugh is my favorite!!

Lauri said...

I love all the updates! Alex is getting so big! The picture of his big smile is priceless! You are SO lucky that Miss Mary Anne sends pics during the day -- what a great way to help Mommy through the transition.

Oh, and I NEED to talk to you (and commiserate) about the sleep training. I am SO feeling your pain right now!!

Dana said...

So jealous that you get cute little pics of Alex during the day. What a great idea! Good luck with the sleeping! Was much later for us before J slept through the night.