12.31.2011

Christmas in Texas - Part 1: Time with family and friends.

One magical month in Texas. Man, oh, man, oh, man, did we ever have fun! I have more pictures than you have time or interest to see, so I've tried my best to scale back. When you get to the end of this post, you'll probably be saying, "That was scaling back?!" LOL! Settle in, my friends. This is a long one.

Because of the sheer volume of pictures and tales, I'm going to break our adventures into four posts, which just so happen to be my four most favorite things about our time back home.
Part 1: Time with family and friends
Part 2: Christmas activities
Part 3: The Polar Express
Part 4: Christmas Day

Spending time with family and friends is really what our trip back home was all about. We haven't had this much consecutive time with loved ones since we moved to Roanoke three years ago, and we cherished every single second of it.

One treat was getting to join my high school BFFs and their husbands and kiddos for a weekend of fun. These girls are hands-down some of the greatest gifts God has ever given to me. Their friendship has carried me through many a journey, and I simply cannot imagine what my life would be without them. Their influence is immeasurable. For more than 20 years now, they have been a living example of Romans 12:15, "Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." Dana, Lauri, and Katherine, you girls are some of the greatest cheerleaders a girl could ever hope to have.
IMG_7467
Now these girls were much more eager than I ever was to take the leap into motherhood. I was scared out of my mind, and the last one to jump on board. But, boy, am I ever glad that I did. We have shared so many other chapters in life that it's now hard to imagine not having shared this chapter, too. Here are our babies.
IMG_7309
And one more, just because I love that when you look at the picture below, you can see a dozen stories just waiting to be told from these precious little faces. Be still my heart!
IMG_7378

We also had lots of fun with Pops and Nana. I think it rained each day we visited them except maybe one. But we weren't about to let the rain slow us down or dampen our visit. There were pizzas and cookies to be made...
IMG_2679

IMG_1141

Puppies to be played with...
IMG_2693

Hugs to be had...
IMG_1151

Smiles to be captured...
IMG_2889

IMG_2953bw

"Gold Speed" to be raced...
IMG_2912

Playtime to be shared...
IMG_2920

Duck calls to be learned...
IMG_2993

Presents to be opened...
IMG_2973

Tools to be used...
IMG_3006

And one very cool tricycle to be ridden...
IMG_3057

IMG_3095

IMG_3100
No, sir, we did not let the rain dampen our fun with Pops and Nana!

Thank goodness it didn't rain when we visited with Ganny and Grandpa because we would have missed out on all the fun that the leaf pile holds. Alex was in heaven.
_MG_1013
I've never seen a kid have so much fun in a little ol' pile of leaves.
_MG_1017

_MG_1032

Grandpa really made Alex's day the next time we visited because he quadrupled the size of the first leaf pile and let Alex run and dive right on top. "Again!," Alex would cry out.
_MG_1650

_MG_1665

_MG_1682

_MG_1695

Meanwhile, Ganny was busy getting some of Roo's sweet sugars.
_MG_1054

_MG_1749

Isabel managed to snag some Roo loves, too...
IMG_1726

While Isabel's momma got a few loves from Wyatt, Isabel's brother.
_MG_1710


Roo also logged a few minutes seconds on the tricycle.
_MG_1769

And a few seconds minutes in Grandpa's arms.
IMG_1799


One of the funniest things was seeing the boys "ride" Ganny and Grandpa's reindeer.
_MG_1062

_MG_1116

_MG_1132
What a hoot!

And here are a few of my favorite pics from our Christmas celebration with Jerry's family. You'll notice that Alex isn't in many of these because he was much too busy with other things to slow down long enough for me to get his picture.
IMG_2613

IMG_2622

IMG_2632

IMG_2639

IMG_2659


While we were visiting Noni and Pop Pop, we had some special visitors come join us. My uncle Jeff and Aunt Brenda drove from west Texas for a weekend. This was their first time to meet the boys. Alex was only shy for about a minute, and then he warmed right up to them. It helped that Bren was willing to "help" Alex wash cars in the sink with him - a favorite activity of his. Water + Cars = hours of entertainment for that boy! Hate that I didn't get pictures of that, but here are a couple I did manage to get.
IMG_1509

IMG_1506
_MG_1638
IMG_1629
While Jeff and Bren were there, we had a small get-together with some of our other family and friends, and mom whipped up quite the meal. We had smoked chicken, bacon-wrapped pork loin, green beans, corn casserole, broccoli casserole (my sole contribution), homemade potato salad, rolls and chocolate cake. We ate until we were miserable. It was so good! I have pictures of the food, but I am trying to scale back, remember. ;-) Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the day.
_MG_1606
_MG_1601
_MG_1596
IMG_1584

_MG_1574 copy

_MG_1527

_MG_1547

We enjoyed getting to see Uncle Zack. And might I just say, that his gift to Little Man has been quite the hit. He gave Alex a car launcher that holds ten cars to race. Um, do you think he could have done any better? I think not.
IMG_2514

_MG_2501

IMG_2487

_MG_2483

IMG_1514


And one of my favorites - Alex and his Noni sitting on Tallulah's (the name of Noni's house) grand front porch playing with balls.
_MG_1502

Whew. More to come in Part 2. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Tanna said...

Makes me cry... happy and sad tears... all at once... sure did enjoy you all being here... more than any words I could ever express... xoxoxoxo

Lauri said...

Your sweet words made me cry, too! Words don't do justice for how blessed I am by your friendship! I have a big smile on my face right now thinking of how wonderful it was to see you and your sweet family last month, and how awesome it will be to see you again in another few short months. It will be here before we know it.

Oh my, what a great time you had with family and friends during your visit! I know your calendar was jam-packed with fun and love from all sides of the family. It sure looks like a successful visit, and I bet your love tank is overflowing from all that Christmas joy! So glad you had such a wonderful time, and I can't wait to hear about and see the rest. Miss you already!

Tanna said...

Just had to come back to look again... ;) LOVE the photos of Alex in the leaves! He was having so much fun! Good job on Jerry's dad's part!! Love the tool belt shot! LOL! I didn't see that. Too fun! And, the reindeer riding might be my favorite... Roos face is priceless! LOL! If the last shot weren't my fav... Great photography. love you so big. mom

Dana said...

Super super super fun to see all of your pics and thoughts about your visit to TX. I am just so blessed that I got to see you for a bit while you were here. Your kind words made me smile so big and remember just how lucky I am to have you as a dear friend. You have a great way with words.

Your visits with each of the families looked like so much fun. I know the boys must have had a blast being loved on so much. I'm sure it was a shock to get home and not have all that spoiling going on anymore!

Love you!