1.02.2012

Christmas in Texas Part 2: Christmas activities

Well, some of these are Christmas activities, and some of these are just fun things we did that made me smile.

First up, Canton. You know I looove me some Canton. Nearly every item in my home that people comment on is from Canton. I sooo miss that place and really had to limit my purchases because we didn't have much room in the car for any extraneous loot. I had to be mindful that my boys were likely to be spoiled plum rotten with Christmas gifts. (And they were, in case you had any doubt.)

IMG_0879

IMG_0884
IMG_0880

The boys were real troopers that day, and probably the highlight for Alex was getting to run Blue Speed through the dirt. He was covered by the time it was all said and done. And by "he," I really mean "they."
IMG_0889

Alex did a little Christmas sticker activity.
_MG_0821
And some water coloring, which we will not be attempting again for a while. He never quite caught on to the concept of rinsing the paint brush before moving on to a different color.
_MG_0831

Some coloring time - please note that all colors he selected to use are some shade of blue because they "match Blue Speed." Oh yes, he will tell you that.
_MG_0828

Alex enjoying his Moon Pie, just like one of his favorite book characters, Jimmy Zangwow.
_MG_0842

Making salt dough ornaments with Noni. Sadly, we started this little project but never got them finished. They're cooked, but not painted. Those ornaments never did make it to the tree either - even in their half-finished state. We just needed more time!
_MG_0857
And of course, Blue Speed couldn't miss out on the fun. He raced through the flour making tracks on the counter top.
_MG_0858

Alex getting his hair cut in a fire engine. He wasn't too sure what to make of it all, but he sat there still and quiet for the most part.
_MG_1210


One morning I got to take pictures of mom modeling one of the many amazing things she has knitted. Is she beautiful, or what?! 
_MG_1461

_MG_1451

Roo-bear Elf was Santa's QC this year. Giving it the chomp test.
_MG_1865


Noni, Alex and I worked on cookies for Santa.
_MG_2197

We made sugar cookies with M&Ms, although Alex found it very hard to stop himself from eating all the M&Ms that were supposed to go on Santa's cookies. When I asked him what Santa was going to eat, he just looked at Noni and me and replied, "Sorry, guys."
_MG_2204

We also made melted snowman cookies. If you're interested in the recipe, you can find it here and here.
_MG_2280

Pop Pop, Daddy and Alex also whipped up a batch of cookies. These are Pop Pop's specialty. Small twisted pretzels+rolos+pecans=DELISH! Just set one rolo on top of each pretzel and microwave for a few seconds until it softens and then add a pecan on top. Salty, sweet goodness at your fingertips. And they're easy as pie to make.
IMG_2278


Of course, you can't make food for Santa without also making some for his reindeer. So Alex whipped up a batch of oatmeal and red sugar crystals to spread out on the lawn. In the picture below it seems as though he's keeping one eye on the lawn just to make sure he doesn't miss any potential reindeer activity.
IMG_2258

IMG_2267


We sort of did an advent calendar. I'd try to get Alex to move the mouse to the appropriate day, and then later on I'd glance at the calendar when walking by, and somehow, that mouse mysteriously always landed back on day 9 - the day when we started the calendar. I guess Alex wasn't too keen on seeing the days progress along.
_MG_2236



And finally, one of my favorite things we did was sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus after our Christmas Eve dinner. We had six candles on our cake (one for Noni, Pop Pop, Momma, Daddy, Alex and Roo) to symbolize that Jesus came to earth for each of us.
_MG_2243
_MG_2249


Next up, Polar Express. Stay tuned...




7 comments:

nanny said...

I know you had so much fun in Texas!!!! The days just flew by, uh?

Yes, Noni is beautiful!!!!! She needs to share her beauty secrets with us! And esp. how she got so tiny!!

Cute, cute setting for the haircut! Lila would have loved that. All she got was a black cape and a booster seat/ha

Tanna said...

LOVE the photo where Alex is looking out for potential reindeer!! LOL! Reminds me of watching for the chickens at the pumpkin patch! Nothing is going to slip by that Little Man!!

So many good memories. I thank you for each and every one!! They are precious and priceless. xoxxoxox
(ps it is embarassing about the shawl photos though I love your kind thoughts... another reason children are so very special... they always see their moms with eyes of love. I've seen that YOU know just what I mean. XOXOXOXO)

Lauri said...

Yes, Noni is simply gorgeous!! Seriously, those look like magazine photos. Kudos to the beautiful model AND the amazing photographer!!

Looks like some serious Christmas fun was had by all. I love the idea of the birthday cake for Jesus. A great way to remember why we're celebrating in the first place.

The Little Adventures of LueLee said...

Y'all look like y'all had a BLAST!!! some great memories have been made!!! Hopefully the next time y'all come down we will get to join in to, I say Aunt B and Uncle Rupert made up your way... Next time I will find the time and the way... Love the Pictures of Aunt Tanna She is Amazingly BEAUTIFUL!!! I must say we have a great gene pool hehe I mean I think we are a stunning family hehe :) I promise no bias here ;) Im glad y'all had fun and I love y'all very much!!!!! xoxoxoxoxoxo And Happy Start of the New Years!!

Dana said...

You guys did lots of fun Christmas activities! And all of the goodies look delicious! I love the pretzels with rolos and the sugar cookies with m&ms looked good too. I don't blame Alex for eating the m&ms either. I've been known to do that. :-) You guys created lots of great holiday memories and I know your family is so glad to have been a part of it. Isn't Christmas even more special with kids? :-)

Allyson said...

Great pictures as usual! I LOVE the one of Alex with all of his blue crayons - so cute. I'm glad you all had such a good time with family and friends and that your boys got to make special Christmas memories while you were there. I must admit, though, I'm happy you are back in VA - you were missed!

Anonymous said...

Man, one thing is for sure...Alex and Andrew are loved and adored by so so many! Doesn't it bring you so much joy to see what joy your kids can bring to others? There is no shortage of love for those sweet kiddos in you and Jerry's family. God's children can bring happiness to so many!

Between the crafts, the food, the gifts, the pictures, the memories, the smiles, the love that is felt through your words and pictures I would say you all had a blessed Christmas! And those pictures of your Mom, wow she is beautiful. Amazing pictures girl!

I so loved our weekend together and the time that we were able to spend together. You girls mean the world to me and I feel so blessed we had that time all together! Can't wait for the next two parts of stories and pictures from your trip. Love you!
Katherine