The first day of preschool. I wondered what the emotions would be like. Would I cry? Would Alex? Would he like it? Would I be affirmed of our decision to send him there? How would this new adventure begin?
We've spent the last few days talking to Alex about starting school. We've told him that he would get to make new friends and learn all kinds of really neat things. We talked to him about being kind and obeying his teacher. And this morning before we left, I read him a letter his teacher had written to him a couple of weeks ago and showed him the gingerbread boy name tag she made especially for him. He was so excited; he kept asking me to read the letter "again" and "again."
When we got to the school, he was such a chipper little guy. He hopped along and went right into his classroom without a moment's hesitation. Walked right in and made himself at home at the train table and car race track. Mrs. Fentress (his teacher) knew the way to his heart.
He enjoyed meeting the other kids in his class (there are only four kids total which I really like) and playing at the different centers with them.
Once Alex was settled in, Jerry and I left to go to the parent orientation in the church sanctuary. Alex never even batted an eye when we walked out. Not only did I leave the room dry-eyed, I left floating on cloud nine and saying to Jerry, "I am so excited for him. I really think he's going to love it here!" Jerry agreed. His teacher seems wonderful. The room is cheerful and packed with great toys for the kiddos. And you know I'm a sucker for the crafts and coloring pages, which they will have each day. Not to mention that there's a monthly bible verse and story, along with outside play and music time. Now I'm sure that these things are standard in most mother's day out preschool programs, but it was just so exciting to see it all laid out in front of us, especially knowing how much Alex enjoys doing so many of those things these days.
The first day is just one hour so that the two- and three-year olds can get settled in comfortably. So after school was finished for the day, Jerry and I asked Alex if he wanted to go have lunch to celebrate his first day. Of course! And then the conversation went like this...
Us: "What do you want to eat?"
Alex: "Ranch."
Us: "What do you want with your ranch?"
Alex: "Fries."
Us: "What do you want with your fries?
Alex: "Hot dog."
So hot dog, fries and ranch it was. Oh, and his very own pink lemonade, too.
After everything was said and done, I realized that I was a bit emotional about the day, but in a way I hadn't expected. No tears. Not even close. Just pure joy and excitement in all that lies ahead for our Little Man. I think school is going to be a really wonderful adventure for him.















8 comments:
How exciting! I love how proud Alex looks with his backpack on arriving at school. So much fun and it will give you some time with Andrew on his own.
You may not have cried a tear... They are sliding down my face. He is growing up so quickly. XOXOXOXOXO
What a big boy! He will love every minute of it! All of the great activities, keeping busy.....yes!
I just LOVED reading about Alex's first preschool adventure! That is just soooo exciting! I can see and feel your smile and excitement from here! Not only will Alex learn and grow so much, but Mama and Roo will get some alone time for bonding and running errands, which is always easier with 1 less child! I am so glad Alex's first day was so joyful and that he took to it so quickly. He is going to LOVE it, I have no doubt! And I can't believe there are only 4 kids in his classroom, that's amazing!
The last 2 pics of you and Alex are my favorite. You both look so happy and excited for what's to come. And may I say, you are looking GREAT, Mama!!
Im so glad everyone enjoyed the first day of preschool.
You will enjoy your one on one time with Andrew and alex will love the independence. The classroom looks so fun and inviting! I'm glad you found a great school with a Christian influence. That was important to us too. Alex just seems so big these days. It's about time I got to see those boys!!!!
Oh my goodness, those are the cutest pictures of your sweet boy. I think my favorite is the one of him at the train table with his backpack still on. He must have headed straight for the toys when he stepped foot in that classroom. Too cute!
I can feel your excitment, enthusiasm and joy for Alex's new adventure. I feel excited for you and Alex after reading this! :) I'm always amazed at how strongly a mother can feel different emotions when it comes to her children.
I'm so glad you felt good leaving that first day. His teacher and classroom look wonderful. I can't wait to see more pictures as the year goes on. I have a feeling he's going to have a wonderful experience/adventure. :)
Oh and I love the fact that he loves ranch. Ranch, sweets, Chick-fil-a, he and his Aunt Katherine have a lot in common! :-) I love the family lunch after school. What a special day you made for him! Love you sweet momma!
Katherine
AWWW WHAT A DASHING YOUNG MAN ON HIS FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!! Looks like he will have great fun and wonderful crafts!!! xoxoxoxo
How wonderful, so proud of you mom! And proud of the big boy! He will love it. I'm amazed at how fast Lila learns from all the other children.
Post a Comment