12.17.2010

Mini Cherry Pies

I had my little elfin helper with me in the kitchen today.

We whipped up a batch of Mini Cherry Pies.

If you're looking for an easy-peasy, festive-looking, individual-size dessert, may I recommend this one to you.

4 ingredients:
1 box Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk

Let both crusts soften by setting them on the counter for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425ยบ. Remove softened crusts from pouches; unroll on work surface.

With 3 1/2- or 4-inch round cutter, cut 6 rounds from each crust. (You can see I only got five with my cutter. I used a smaller cutter to get the 6th round (not shown here).)

Save scraps. Alex thought they were delicious to eat. (Yes, he is his mother's child.)

I had to convince him that we wanted to use the scraps to cut small stars to place in the center of the pies. He wasn't ever fully convinced. (A cookie cutter about 1-inch in size is perfect.)

Lightly dust each side of the round-shaped crust with flour and place into 12 ungreased muffin cups, pressing in gently. (You can see the two smaller rounds I had to cut. They were the perfect size if you wanted to make "tarts." Or, in my case, they were perfect for taste-testing.)

Spoon about 2 tablespoons pie filling into each crust-lined cup. (Use less if your rounds are the smaller size like the two above.)

Place one star in the center of each pie.

Bake for 14-18 minutes or until edges are golden brown and filling is bubbly.

While pies are cooling, mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon milk for icing drizzle. (If I had this to do over again, I'd probably use 2 or 3 teaspoons of milk and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. I think the flavoring would have been better. Hind sight of an amateur...)

Spoon icing into small ziploc baggie. Snip a small corner of baggie so that you can drizzle icing onto pies.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Dana said...

Those look beautiful. And I bet most people would really enjoy them. Of course you know how I feel about fruity desserts so I won't go there but they sure are nice looking! :-) So much fun to let the kiddos help in the kitchen. I bet Jackson would have liked to join Alex in tasting some of that pie crust!!!

nanny said...

That is a great idea....and they are beautiful!
I love cherry pie filling...yum!

Lauri said...

Yummy! Wish I were close so I could sample the outcome. Just might have to make some of those myself! Thanks for sharing!!

Tanna said...

Oh, those precious little helping hands! Brings a tear of joy to Noni's eye to see them. Those are spectacular little treats and you had the most wonderful helper! I can't wait to have some help myself! LOL! Pop Pop wants to know why he hasn't had any of those; I told him LM hadn't been here to make them! LOL!

I LOVE your photography skills! XOXOXOXO

Katherine said...

I love great tasting, great looking, EASY recipes. What a cute idea, love the touch the little star adds. And I love the touch of your little helper right there by you. What a fun activity for you and your LM!