12.15.2010

Fantasyland with Santa

The History Museum of Western Virginia puts on an extraordinary event for children each year.


Fantasyland with Santa was absolutely magical, joyous and educational. I had the chance to take Alex today, and we so enjoyed it.

Santa played the guitar and sang Christmas carols. All of the kids joined in. Alex raised his arms and danced while the other kids and adults sang along.

Santa told stories of two lesser-known reindeer, Holly and Buck. Holly was the sweet reindeer who was really good at seeing what people needed in their lives and helping give that - because, after all, sometimes the best gifts we can give are the practical gifts that people need. There was a cute little story to illustrate this.

Buck, on the other hand, was not so on his game. Sometimes he wasn't a hard worker. But Santa gave him jobs to do that he believed Buck was capable of doing. Santa shared that it is important to believe in people - especially when you give them jobs to do. Because we all need people who believe in us.

Santa also talked about the importance of love. Here he is showing his love sprinkles. He said that love was something we all had within us but that we didn't necessarily see until we gave it away to others.

I tell you, Santa was a wise old soul. I just ate up all of his messages about the things that matter most in life. Here's Alex listening to Santa talk about how each of us is different in our own special way but how we are all a part of the same family - mankind.

At the end, Santa spent time with each child for photographs. He got out of his chair to come sit with Alex on the floor because, while Alex was perfectly content to watch Santa at a distance, he was not too sure about sitting in Santa's lap by himself. But Santa was prepared for times such as these. He brought out his bag of animal crackers and shared them with Alex. Amazingly, it stopped the flow of tears, and we actually got to get a few pictures (even if I had to be in them)!



You'll have to look past the fact that Alex couldn't put on a smile at this very moment. He still wasn't too sure of things. But I was so proud that he took the animal cracker directly from Santa and ate it without tears - signs of progress.

I can say that this is definitely one of my favorite memories from this holiday season so far. Yea for Fantasyland with Santa!

7 comments:

Hilde Kraiss said...

Looks like a fun day. That probably won't be your last picture with Santa where there are no smiles - and probably not the last one that you will have to be in. We have several different years of either no smiles or outright screaming - but of course we took the pictures anyway! Merry Christmas!

Tanna said...

OH, I LOVE THIS!! Santa was wonderful! He was very, very wise indeed. (and, i love his outfit!) hee hee. I'm going to have to steal a photo or two or three! LOL! As far as your being in the photos... my preference, of course! You look radiant. I love you dearly. I'm so proud Little Man is making some progress in the Santa department. Never let it be said that any of our clan cannot be won over with food. LOL! XOXOXOXOX

Lauren said...

This looks amazing. So rarely do kids have a chance to interact with "Santa" where it involves more than just sitting on his lap and asking for stuff. I love how he imparted wisdom to the kids. Wonderful!

Dana said...

Oh that looks like so much fun. I wish we were there with you guys. What a smart Santa to have treats for the scared little guys. I'm pretty sure Jackson would do just about anything he didn't want to do for a special treat. You guys all look so festive in your red and white. Love it!!

Miss you.

Lauri said...

I loved reading about Fantasyland! Oh my, is there ANY better Santa in the world than that one?? The long, white, (real) beard, the sweet disposition, the animal crackers...maybe he's REALLY Santa?? ;-) And the pictures of you and Alex in your festive clothing are so fun! What an awesome memory, I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time.

PS - You look beautiful, Mama!

Katherine said...

Nothing like getting a little wisdom from someone like Santa himself! Greatness. I would agree that progress has been made with baby boy getting so close to the big guy. And even taking food from him. Impressive! So glad you guys got to experience this, what fun!

Btw, cute haircut! And isn't it time for a little baby bump picture? Come on now, we are anxious to see! :)

nanny said...

It sounds like Fantasyland is a special place that adults enjoy as much or more than the little ones. What a wonderful Santa, to spend time with Alex and all of the children...
I loved reading about your day!
Holly and Buck, a great addition.
I love Alex expression in the last one, so cute!!