"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:6
What a wonderful blessing we celebrate today with the birth of baby Jesus.
This Christmas season, I've spent some time thinking about the virgin Mary. Her story hits closer to home now that I'm a mom. It's hard for me to imagine what it must have been like to give birth in a stable - surrounded by animals and hay - with no doctor, no pain relief, no comforts. Just Mary, Joseph and an immeasurable amount of faith that their Lord would make provisions.
Mary's sacrifice amazes me. An unwed, teenage mother. As if that weren't scary enough, she was an unwed, teenage mother to Jesus - God in the flesh. Not just any innocent baby - Jesus - the one person who was sent to save the world. As parents, we feel a responsibility to raise our children well, right? But this takes that responsibility to a whole new level.
And then there's the fact that she knew from the beginning that her sweet bundle of joy would suffer an incomprehensible death. Can you imagine knowing that? The one thing I was so ill-prepared for when Alex arrived is just how much I would worry about his well-being and hoping that nothing would ever happen to him to make him suffer. I'm sure this demonstrates a lack of faith on my part. But this is how I've felt. And I just can't even imagine what it must have been like to be Mary. And to physically witness her son's death - even if she did know the resurrection was coming - it makes me weak in the knees and sick in my stomach to think about.
I am thankful for the birth of Jesus and all that it means for my life. And I'm thankful for Mary, and the faith she demonstrated to live a life with amazing sacrifice, so that we could rejoice in our Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
"Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord...'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.'"
Luke 2:11, 14
"Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord...'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.'"
Luke 2:11, 14
5 comments:
Beautiful reflections, Amanda. You are right - it is unimaginable what Mary must have experienced. And God has definitely blessed us all this year. Thanks for sharing!
I love this post, Amanda! I love that you have felt you can relate more to Mary now that you are a mother! It is impossible for us to try to understand all that Mary went through, it's just too much to comprehend! God didn't choose just anyone to be the mother of Jesus, he chose Mary. Just like God chose you to be Alex's mother. It is such an honor to be a mother, that God trusts us enough to give us children to raise! How blessed are we!
I love you. Mom
Got your card.....Thanks so much....It is on my refrigerator....so, so sweet!
Thanks for sharing, Amanda. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts and the comments. Love to you ---
Post a Comment