4.05.2009

Upstairs Guest Bathroom

Last weekend, Greg flew in to help Jerry and I take on a makeover for our second guest bathroom that's upstairs. There's lots of work to be done, but they've made some serious headway in the last few days.

When we moved in, the bathroom looked something like this. If you look closely, you'll notice that the only light fixture in the room was over the medicine cabinet, which made it a bit awkward when you were looking into the mirror over the sink to get ready.


So Greg and Jerry removed the original lighting and installed two new mounts for wall sconces that will flank the new vanity that we'll install. (Yes, that means that we're getting rid of the original sink. I know, I know. We're crazy for doing that, but I've got some ideas brewing in my head that just don't work well with that sink.) They also installed a new fan/can light in the ceiling which will help us to pull moisture out of the room when the shower is being used. Plus it gives us a little bit of extra light.

The wall sconce lighting will look like this. We'll have one on each side of the mirror.

We'll install a faucet like this. I'm going for a "farmhouse" look in this bathroom.

Notice in the photo below that there are exposed water pipes that run along the edge of the baseboard. That has driven Jerry crazy from the minute we saw this house.

So he and Greg spent all day Saturday re-plumbing the pipes to run under the floor.

The other thing they did was remove the old medicine cabinet. Mom, I know you're about to fall out of your chair because we're removing so many of the "originals," but we did manage to salvage the mirror part, and we're hoping to re-use it in the house somewhere.

So here's what's left to tackle in this bathroom:
• Rebuild the frame around the tub
• Install the hardibacker board on the wall to the side and at the back end of the tub
• Tile the frame on the tub and the walls where we've installed the hardibacker
• Put hardibacker on the floor
• Tile the floor
• Sheet rock the walls and ceiling (although I'm contemplating beadboard on the ceiling)
• Paint the walls and trim
• Install a new toilet
• Install the vanity and sconces
• Replace the baseboards
• Install crown molding

I'm sure there's more, but that's a pretty good chunk of the work. All before July 21.

3 comments:

Lauri said...

Wow, that is a TON of work! You guys are so ambitious, and the end result is always amazing. I can't wait to see the final outcome. Hang in there!

Lisa said...

Love the faucet! Jerry, you look so much like dad in that picture...maybe a lil bit cooler version of young dad! You're so cute! Not that dad isn't or wasn't cute or cool when he was your age or now for that matter...I am gonna shut up now! :) Love yall!

mark said...

I just learned about your site today from Dana. I love the remodeling story. Congratulations on the baby.