1.04.2009

Mirabelle's Makeover


Well we've finally gotten Mirabelle's makeover underway. And boy has it been a mess! Imagine the dust you see on our dining room furniture all over our ENTIRE house. In fact, Jerry and I spent our New Year's trying to clean the hardwoods upstairs because we just couldn't stand the filth anymore. It was a futile act because the painters will soon be sanding the trim to get it ready for painting. But I needed to have some cleanliness (and I use this word loosely), even if it is only for a few days.

So here's a sneak peak at the work in progress. This photo is of the stairway. The walls and ceiling used to have layers of cracked and peeling wallpaper. Mmm - nice. Since we sheet rocked on top of the existing plaster, we had to remove the top part of the base board so that the sheet rock didn't extend beyond it. We thought the base cap would be easy enough to replace - just a quick trip to Home Depot, right? Wrong. Luckily, Jerry found a mill in the town next to Roanoke where they created a "key" that matched the original design of the base cap, and we had them custom cut enough linear footage to replace it for the entire house.

1 comment:

Tanna said...

It always gets worse before it gets better... though in this case, I'm not sure. I do know it is on the way to better! On with restoring the Ancient Ruins!!