7.02.2013

Christmas in the Summer

Look very closely, and you'll see a sticker that reads, "I met Santa Claus."

IMG_3512

While running some errands at a local mall a couple of weeks ago, I looked up from pushing our stroller to find a magical sight. A white-haired man with a perfectly combed beard was wearing a red t-shirt with suspenders and white Bermuda shorts. The lady next to him was wearing a red and white striped shirt with white pants. They both had on red hats, red socks and white shoes.

I leaned over to Alex, and quietly whispered, "Look over there! Do you think that's Santa and Mrs. Claus?!" He stared for just a moment and nodded his head yes. I said to him, "I think they're on their summer vacation! Look, they're wearing their summer clothes!"

Santa spotted us noticing him, and he and Mrs. Claus came over to greet us. Oh. My. Goodness. It was almost like Christmas morning for me! They gave the boys candy canes and these two sweet little cards with pictures of themselves.

 IMG_3560

The first card, they gave to Alex. On the backside was this note:

IMG_3557

He was so excited that he had been "caught being nice!" The next card they gave to Roo:

IMG_3556

I read it to the boys – affirming everything it said – while Santa and Mrs. Claus were standing there.

I almost got tears in my eyes as I thought about what a sweet, sweet ministry they had. The magic of Santa directing them to the love of Jesus. No mall-sponsored event. No scheduled appearance. Just Santa and Mrs. Claus out "vacationing" from the North Pole, and looking for opportunities to let children know they are loved. Divine magic.

2 comments:

Tanna said...

love. love. love. this!!! =D

Dana said...

That's so awesome. What a neat thing for them to do. Love it when kids get to witness someone sharing Christ's love like that.