10.23.2008

Making a Move

As you all know by now, big change is coming our way. Jerry and I are making a move to Roanoke, Virginia, and we decided to start a blog to capture some of our adventures. We've never blogged about anything before, but we thought it might be a fun way to keep in touch with family and friends. You know - help close the gap a little bit for the miles that will be between us.

I did a little homework on the city so that I would know more about what we're getting ourselves into, and I thought I'd share some of the interesting things I learned.
• Population 94,911
• Average high temp in the summer 87º (July)
• Average low temp in the winter 26º (January)
• Roanoke came from the Indian word, "Raw-re-nock," for shell beads that were worn by the Indians and used for trade
• The Roanoke Weiner Stand is the oldest restaurant in the city - a gem, I'm sure. (Please note: we will be developing a "must-see/experience" list for those of you planning to visit us. This will likely be at the top of the list.)
• The Mill Mountain Star (aka The Roanoke Star) is the most notable landmark in the city. It is the world's largest illuminated man-made standing star, sure to make those of us from Texas proud. Another "can't miss" (literally) for our guests.

Yep, with a historic weiner stand and a neon star to remind us of home, I think we're in for a grand adventure. We look forward to sharing it with you.

2 comments:

Tanna said...

As "the mom," I am most interested in closing the gap. I will greatly enjoy reading of your adventures in VA!

Anonymous said...

I am SO excited about your blog! I'll have Laine link your blog to ours. We are going to miss you guys so much!